Holland | Losing Drivers

You know the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence till you get there. Different companies have different warts, I have to guess that a fella who goes to quality just because they pay into the pension is in for a rude awakening. I did that tanker stuff for 27 months a while back and it really sucks bad, I would rather be poor when I retire than go back to that crap. I guess if you don't mind sleeping in a truck Walmart pays well, I just don't care to go back to that either and that's not to mention the high deductible on the health insurance. UPS freight I am guessing is a pretty good gig, my brother in law works as a package driver and does pretty well for himself and his family. Dayton I don't know much about, I always heard that it was a good company and you can do the speed limit in there newer equipment at least. I think I would rather stick with the evil I know than go try out another company, but than I am not a young man anymore!
It`s "greener"where I went!!

You know the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence till you get there. Different companies have different warts, I have to guess that a fella who goes to quality just because they pay into the pension is in for a rude awakening. I did that tanker stuff for 27 months a while back and it really sucks bad, I would rather be poor when I retire than go back to that crap. I guess if you don't mind sleeping in a truck Walmart pays well, I just don't care to go back to that either and that's not to mention the high deductible on the health insurance. UPS freight I am guessing is a pretty good gig, my brother in law works as a package driver and does pretty well for himself and his family. Dayton I don't know much about, I always heard that it was a good company and you can do the speed limit in there newer equipment at least. I think I would rather stick with the evil I know than go try out another company, but than I am not a young man anymore!
I would go ahead and retire before I would do tanker. Dayton is 10 minutes from the house...unless it was ABF, I would not be interested in another LTL company. The guys here left for UPS as feeder drivers...more power to them. I gave that a lot of thought to that job also...however it's not my cup of tea.! I spent my entire driving time up to driving at Holland, driving for a company fleet. That is what I am returning to something I know quite well...ever since this last so called MOU, I have been thinking over this move at my age...for me it is the right thing to do.! For some others it may not be...but I feel Hoodock has the best gig of all.!

Just for clarification - oh and maybe a little bit just to be a smartass Snark. 6 drivers quitting out of 150 would be 4% of the total driver force. If that happens too many times it will get real significant ! Lol

Just for clarification - oh and maybe a little bit just to be a smartass Snark. 6 drivers quitting out of 150 would be 4% of the total driver force. If that happens too many times it will get real significant ! Lol

It will become significant in the near future. You can't fix stupid...I was told that I had to put in for my off on 8 hrs if I planned to leave early today my last day.! I guess I will get a letter over leaving early...? I won't sign off, gives a junior man a chance to get his off on 8 hrs.

Guys are leaving pretty much every week, new guys are quiting in just a few days of being hired!! No matter how you do the math?? Something has to change, because it's pretty obvious it's not working the way it is!!!! And how about the new equipment??? They said it would start arriving in July and here it is the 8th of the month and still no new equipment......... Hmmmmmm!! More BS!!!!! I'll bet the bonus checks are still showing up though!!!

Guys are leaving pretty much every week, new guys are quiting in just a few days of being hired!! No matter how you do the math?? Something has to change, because it's pretty obvious it's not working the way it is!!!! And how about the new equipment??? They said it would start arriving in July and here it is the 8th of the month and still no new equipment......... Hmmmmmm!! More BS!!!!! I'll bet the bonus checks are still showing up though!!!
My days are done, I will miss the guys and gals I have worked with for the last 11 years from line haul to city. But the Holland that we have become is along way from what we were in the past. They have killed off the Holland Pride, turning this into just another LTL company.! I hope to see it getting better and the new equipment showing up and to see it out there while I am out there working. Getoverit...let me guess...1964 chevy nova...my 1st car. Nova SS...327 4-speed...street racing on Friday night, drive in movies and beer on Saturday nights, the rest I will leave out...oh yea it brings back thoughts of my youth!!!! Boys do need bad ass toys nothing better than out cruising....!

Three drivers from GR have gone to ABF with possibly another on the way.Totally different culture over here.Much more professional .Don't miss the negativity and bad attitudes at all.All the labor problems that were created by the company trying to force the drivers to work in a military type enviroment.The nit-picking reprimands turned a lot of good men off and created the " I don't care any more " mindset..

Three drivers from GR have gone to ABF with possibly another on the way.Totally different culture over here.Much more professional .Don't miss the negativity and bad attitudes at all.All the labor problems that were created by the company trying to force the drivers to work in a military type enviroment.The nit-picking reprimands turned a lot of good men off and created the " I don't care any more " mindset..

The loss of employee's will soon take it's toll. It has already started at my old terminal. I received a call from an old friend, he resigned yesterday.! The lack of respect, unable to get the simplest needed repairs on his unit and reprimands for a bunch of B.S. The negativity so thick in the air that you can cut it with a knife. The old Holland pride was in it's employees, the demands, reprimands, give backs have done an excessive amount of damage to the very driven employees who made this the no 1 LTL place to work. I wonder exactly how many drivers have left in just the last month.?

The loss of employee's will soon take it's toll. It has already started at my old terminal. I received a call from an old friend, he resigned yesterday.! The lack of respect, unable to get the simplest needed repairs on his unit and reprimands for a bunch of B.S. The negativity so thick in the air that you can cut it with a knife. The old Holland pride was in it's employees, the demands, reprimands, give backs have done an excessive amount of damage to the very driven employees who made this the no 1 LTL place to work. I wonder exactly how many drivers have left in just the last month.?

I left back in May for abf yeah the no vacation sucks but the better treatment and pension more than makes up for it.

Well sounds like Warden Welch is getting what he ask for in his little smart Ass comment about getting on board or finding another job!!! Hopefully in the near future the stock holders will give him the same option!!!! Hopefully the very near future!! What an IDIOT!!!!!

I left back in May for abf yeah the no vacation sucks but the better treatment and pension more than makes up for it.

Well sounds like Warden Welch is getting what he ask for in his little smart Ass comment about getting on board or finding another job!!! Hopefully in the near future the stock holders will give him the same option!!!! Hopefully the very near future!! What an IDIOT!!!!!

Warden Welch.............. I like that !!
Rolls off the tongue just like Dollar Bill..........

Grumpy got an early parole...Warden Welch is going above and beyond the call of duty...to be an ass.! I do feel that letter showed what he thinks of his employee's. This is a good job and if don't want to do things my way...leave. Grumpy it felt good to walk out that gate...free and didn't have to dig a tunnel or hide in a laundry truck to escape Warden Welch....priceless.!

I agree with and appreciate everything you guys are saying. But a couple times a week I talk to new drivers in the motels, during the van rides or at terminals, and they think they got the world by the balls. This is only my third summer at Holland, I will be at 95 percent for a while yet, but I am not looking or applying for other jobs. I have had so many jobs that sucked so bad, that even though this job has it's problems, it is a pretty darn good job. I would say on a scale of 1 to 10 it is about a 7.5. The problem is that it use to be a 9, and for you guys that were use to that, I really feel bad for you! I always think of a buddy of mine who was a great high school football player, one of the best offensive lineman in the state. He was getting scholarship offers from division 1 schools and was already thinking about the millions he would make in the pros. Then he tore up his knee real bad and never played again. He ended up being a truck driver, works hard and does a good job, but you talk about a bitter and angry man! Well I was never a great athlete or super smart, so I knew that just like my daddy and his daddy, I would have to get my hands dirty and work weekends and I have never been bitter about it. I thank the man upstairs every day that my paycheck is big enough to pay my bills and maybe have enough left over to take the wife somewhere once a year. I guess my point is that when the dust settles and all the fellas get done running out the door of this terrible company, there will be a whole bunch of guys like me that have never had a job that was a ten and only worked jobs that were maybe in the 4 to 6 area, that will smile and enjoy this terrible job because it is the best they have ever had. Please don't get me wrong, I wish all of you the best of luck at UPS and ABF, and I will wave and smile at you when you blow my doors off out on the road, but I think I will stick around here, work hard, and hope for better days ahead! You can't blame a guy for trying to stay positive....can you?

Warden Welch !!! too funny but true , wonder what he has to say why the reason is why we can't get drivers ???

I agree with and appreciate everything you guys are saying. But a couple times a week I talk to new drivers in the motels, during the van rides or at terminals, and they think they got the world by the balls. This is only my third summer at Holland, I will be at 95 percent for a while yet, but I am not looking or applying for other jobs. I have had so many jobs that sucked so bad, that even though this job has it's problems, it is a pretty darn good job. I would say on a scale of 1 to 10 it is about a 7.5. The problem is that it use to be a 9, and for you guys that were use to that, I really feel bad for you! I always think of a buddy of mine who was a great high school football player, one of the best offensive lineman in the state. He was getting scholarship offers from division 1 schools and was already thinking about the millions he would make in the pros. Then he tore up his knee real bad and never played again. He ended up being a truck driver, works hard and does a good job, but you talk about a bitter and angry man! Well I was never a great athlete or super smart, so I knew that just like my daddy and his daddy, I would have to get my hands dirty and work weekends and I have never been bitter about it. I thank the man upstairs every day that my paycheck is big enough to pay my bills and maybe have enough left over to take the wife somewhere once a year. I guess my point is that when the dust settles and all the fellas get done running out the door of this terrible company, there will be a whole bunch of guys like me that have never had a job that was a ten and only worked jobs that were maybe in the 4 to 6 area, that will smile and enjoy this terrible job because it is the best they have ever had. Please don't get me wrong, I wish all of you the best of luck at UPS and ABF, and I will wave and smile at you when you blow my doors off out on the road, but I think I will stick around here, work hard, and hope for better days ahead! You can't blame a guy for trying to stay positive....can you?

I understand your feelings...it's all about taking care of family and that is the bottom line.