Nemf Stinks

shevell shelled out his own cash for the people to have a decent living. save your money become a millionaire and you can do this too.

grovedog, I don't blame you for trying to defend your company... But go back & reread the posts on the NEMF forum.

You may think that the millionaire owner of NEMF is a great guy, providing you with a good job, giving you an a chance to make a good living...But so did most of the other workers that have busted their humps for years helping to make the company grow into what it is today.

Profits from NEMF probably were used to build Carrier & Eastern...And now these companys are being used to screw the NEMF workers out of what should be a great job.

The owner is intitled to a return on his investment, but it sucks to have him use that money on other investments that end up screwing the dedicated workers who made the profits for him.

I don't think New England Motor Freight built Eastern?
The first Teamster company to go out of business way back in the 80's was Associated,Eastern.
Associated was the biggest Teamster union LTL in America.
They bought out a struggling LTL company called Eastern taking on all of their debit with the purchase.

It was only a short time after this merger Associated the parent company files bankprucy,and liqudated the whole works.

Eastern had the very same markings at that time as the equipment that NEMF has now.
So I'm sure it was the same company back before the Associated buy out.

Who can forget Eastern Red Ball,anyone back in the day knew who they were.

If you don't know me I can qualify my statements because I was working for another smallier Teamster union LTL company back in thoses days.
None of us union LTL'ers could believe that such a large companies as both Associated,and Eastern did that merger.
Than when they pulled up stakes and went out of business everyone was realling in shock over that move.

Yes I'm an old trucker still trucking I'll be 63 this coming monday,and I'm in my 44th year driving a LTL city route,working for UPS Freight.

I still really enjoy playing in traffic,and meeting and greeting the people I deal with day in and day out.
Who'd of thunk it after all these years I still love the life I'm living,and have to give all the credit to God, for keeping me happy,and healthy all this time.

I could be wrong but I think that you are talking about a different company.... I am refering to the Eastern on the Ball that his brother owned. It went bankrupt & his brother killed himself.

2631 back in the day his brothers death was a mob hit from what all of us old Teamster members knew,that were working LTL at that time.

I really think the paint scheme,and signage were the same on the old Eastern equipment that it is now on NEMF's Road division.

I did get the Red ball wrong that was Spector Red Ball another old union LTL to bite the dust back just after deregulation started.

But the Eastern equipment did have a brand like a big baseball,and I do think it was on the ball?
But I could be wrong?

If my memory is still sharp enough to remember back then.
So I'm going to have to disagree with you on this.
Maybe someother older posters can clear this up?

Maybe CFer,or Dirtball can come to our aid?
They are very well informed truckers of the old LTL days.

2631 back in the day his brothers death was a mob hit from what all of us old Teamster members knew,that were working LTL at that time.

I really think the paint scheme,and signage were the same on the old Eastern equipment that it is now on NEMF's Road division.

I did get the Red ball wrong that was Spector Red Ball another old union LTL to bite the dust back just after deregulation started.

But the Eastern equipment did have a brand like a big baseball,and I do think it was on the ball?
But I could be wrong?

If my memory is still sharp enough to remember back then.
So I'm going to have to disagree with you on this.
Maybe someother older posters can clear this up?

Maybe CFer,or Dirtball can come to our aid?
They are very well informed truckers of the old LTL days.

We are probably talking about the same company. Either way his brother's company went bankrupt & he started up a new company with the capital from somewhere, while making a nice profit from NEMF.

Eastern Freight Ways is a proud member of the Shevell Group, (NEMF, Eastern Freight Ways, Carrier Industries Inc. and Apex Logistics), with over 5,000 trucks and trailers, one of the largest privately held transportation companies in the country.

The intent of my post was to say that the workers at NEMF worked hard to build the company. Yes they were paid for their work, but a lot of the NEMF drivers that I have seen over the years took pride in their company....And now they see their jobs being taken away by the owner's use of lower paid workers from his other companys

As for how his brother died... when I get the time I'll go back over the RICO transcripts where I read that he committed *******.

Website for the Shevell group
Eastern

Apex Logistics- Wasn't Apex the name of the company that NEMF was getting it nonunion workers from 25 or 30 years ago when they had that sweatheart contract with those corrupt Teamster's officals?

WOW I just checked out the site you provided 2631.
They are the very same colors,and brand from the old
Eastern that mereged with Associated Transport way back in the Teamster LTL union days before deregulation kicked in.
And Associated was the first ones to bail out taking Eastern with them.

Its kind of odd that this web site says they were established in 1994?

Unless they mean they restarted as a non-union company?

You've really got me on this one 2631.

I'll have to admit even though there equipment is marked the same as the old company I guess they could of just purchased all the old equipment,or whatever to start trucking again?

WOW I just checked out the site you provided 2631.
They are the very same colors,and brand from the old
Eastern that mereged with Associated Transport way back in the Teamster LTL union days before deregulation kicked in.
And Associated was the first ones to bail out taking Eastern with them.

Its kind of odd that this web site says they were established in 1994?

Unless they mean they restarted as a non-union company?

You've really got me on this one 2631.

I'll have to admit even though there equipment is marked the same as the old company I guess they could of just purchased all the old equipment,or whatever to start trucking again?

You didn't know that's what the Eastern trucks looked like?

Thats what I'm saying this web site thats been posted by 2631 has the exact same looking colors,and brand from the old Teamster union Eastern trucking company that was bought out by Associated Transport.
I'd say it was right around the time of deregulation.

I started driving for a union LTL trucking company in 1966,so I remember this merger,and bail out.

Thats what I'm saying this web site thats been posted by 2631 has the exact same looking colors,and brand from the old Teamster union Eastern trucking company that was bought out by Associated Transport.
I'd say it was right around the time of deregulation.

I started driving for a union LTL trucking company in 1966,so I remember this merger,and bail out.

Ok I'm confused though lol. You said NEMF has the same colors as the old Eastern and then you said the trucks on the Eastern Freight Ways site are the same colors as the old Eastern. Eastern Freight Ways' trucks are red, blue, and yellow and NEMF trucks are maroon and grey. Also what I was saying was you've never seen what an Eastern Freight Ways truck looked like before 2631 posted that site?
all-21.jpg

Sorry about the confusion driver.
I beieve the truckload division of NEMF has the old paint scheme,and branding of the Eastern Freightways I remember back in the time they were bought out,and merged in with Associated Transport.
I'd say this merger took place around the late,70's to the early 80's just before the government deregualated the whole trucking industry.

I was surprised to see them back in business as a part of NEMF.

Both Eastern,and Associated were Teamster LTL companies.
And after this merger Associated was the largest union LTL company.
Associated manufactured a trailer that was called the Brown trailer company.

Than for some unknown reason to all of us Teamster LTL workers outside of that company.
They just up and closed down their operation?

2631 posted this web site,thats when I reconized that this trucking company looked to the same as the old Teamster company before they were bought out,many years ago.
So I hope this has cleared this topic up for you NEMF.
Sometimes I'm not the best communicator on this trucking message board.
I know what I want to post,then wind up with something else.

Again I'm very sorry if I got this topic all messed up.

What a great union this company has, union employees are laid off while non-union employees keep there job. What is the point of this union other then to just take your money?

That was the original post that started this thread...So whats the status of the grievances filed? Has the union been able to get the company to live up to the terms of the contract?

Update.

Nemf management and Union representatives met several weeks ago to try to establish a "good faith agreement". All talks broke down, both sides agreed to take the matter to arbitration.

The process of both sides coming to terms on an arbitrator is continuing. It will eventual be held in the Philladelphia area.

As soon as there is a ruling I will post it here......

Apostolic I have been working LTL in Jersey fo 38+ years . I live in the next town from where the Eastern terminal burned down...I remember rumors of a mob hit but don't remember ever reading about it or anyone ever being charged in the death.

This is the info that I was refering to. It is taken from the transcript of a RICO case involving mobsters who were corrupt union officials. It comes from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. Case Nos.91-5440 & 91-5441...I tried but could not cut & paste both the link & the info.

Prior to Myron Shevell's formation of NEMF his brother Daniel had operated Eastern Freightways. One of Eastern's employees was a fourth Provenzano brother, Angelo. Eastern went into bankruptcy and thereafter Daniel Shevell committed ******* by shooting himself in the head. Afterwards Myron Shevell formed NEMF.

Apostolic I have been working LTL in Jersey fo 38+ years . I live in the next town from where the Eastern terminal burned down...I remember rumors of a mob hit but don't remember ever reading about it or anyone ever being charged in the death.

This is the info that I was refering to. It is taken from the transcript of a RICO case involving mobsters who were corrupt union officials. It comes from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. Case Nos.91-5440 & 91-5441...I tried but could not cut & paste both the link & the info.

Prior to Myron Shevell's formation of NEMF his brother Daniel had operated Eastern Freightways. One of Eastern's employees was a fourth Provenzano brother, Angelo. Eastern went into bankruptcy and thereafter Daniel Shevell committed ******* by shooting himself in the head. Afterwards Myron Shevell formed NEMF.

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA v. LOCAL 560 (I.B.T.), Nominal Defendant (Intervenor) Appellant in No. 91-5440 and MICHAEL SCIARRA; JOSEPH SHERIDAN Michael Sciarra, Appellant in No. 91-5441 Nos. 91-5440 & 91-5441

Well back in the day I remember something about a load of liquor highjacked,from Eastern.
They found the empty trailer at the a truckstop thats been long gone now.
It was just south of Rochester where I live.
Than we heard that somebody high up in that company was found in his Cadilac with a bullet between his eyes.

Its a very long time ago,and I can't remember any more details than that.
Then Eastern merged with Associated,and Associated didn't last to long after that before they went out of business.

When they went under all of us Teamster drivers were very surprised because they were the biggest union LTL at the time.

Well thats about all I remember about this whole wierd deal.
I'm sure now that so much time has past I may not be correct on what really happened.

Apostolic, its like you said in an earlier post, the rumor or word on the street was...... We are all guilty of doing it. As the years go by, in our minds, rumors & myths turn into facts.
If I had not read about the ******* in the transcript, I would have continued to believe that the man's death was just another common everyday mob hit.

But I would like to get back to the point I was trying to make.

Some may think that the millionaire owner of NEMF is a great guy, providing them with a good job, giving them a chance to make a good living...But so did most of the other NEMF workers that have busted their humps for many years helping to make the company grow into what it is today.

Profits from NEMF probably were used to build Carrier & Eastern...And now his new nonunion companys are being used to screw the NEMF workers out of what should be a great job.

The owner is entitled to a return on his investment, but it sucks to have him use that money on other investments that end up screwing the dedicated workers who made the profits for him.

This certainly is not the 1st time an owner has started another company, nonunion, & then siphoned off work from the his union company.....But to lay off his union workers & bring in his nonunion workers from 1 of his other companys to do their work at NEMF, in violation of a valid contract, is arrogant, cruel & obscene. IMHO he is thumbing his nose at them.

Apostolic,I believe it was the other way around.the smaller regional carrier(Eastern on the Ball)buying out the much larger long haul carrier (Associated) out.The banks would not go for the deal and Shevell's brother then let's say borrowed the money from the teamsters local health welfare fund to buy Associated.I think 1975 was the year they went under. Mike, I think that was EASTERN EXPRESS's terminal in EDISON that was tourched