XPO | New corporation ...New Truckingboard...New Owners ???

loose change said:
Have you ever tried to ask management questions. They work harder not to answer the questions.
I have and for the most part I get answer,Just go 60 minutes on them and keep hitting.Change the words,Switch them around.Thats the way they play.

Lawofone said:
#6 Con-Way and General Motors to enter discussions regarding purchase of Vector SCM.

Got back to the barn Saturday morning and opened up the new copy of Transport Topics and lo-and-behold, Con-Way is slated to sell Vector for $100 million..."news of this transaction came as a surprise", said Gary Frantz, Con-Way spokesman. Oh, and there are no financial records available to the public regarding Vectors' earnings...hmmmm, makes me tingle inside. Who gets the $100 million? The Chairmen of the Board? Have you seen their 6 and 7-figure salaries and their million dollar, bi-annual bonuses? It was in the annual Proxy statement sent to your home and tossed into the garbage.

Oh yeah, also in the same copy of Transport Topics...Con-Way lost its lawsuit to the pilots of Con-Way Air, so I guess that's where the money will be going...

Lawofone said:
Now keep an open mind as you read the threads. Then go back and look at the history of this company. Then my friends you will see why a few of us took the time to stand on the soap box. It is my hope that a few more will wake up and start to do something to change the way this company is heading.I said my little bit, now it is your turn.

Having worked for American Freightways/FedEx Freight and Vitran (yeah, what a contrast!) before Con-Way...I ask you this: Where is the employee handbook, that each and every employee should have to peruse at his/her leisure? Makes me wonder since I have had a lot of questions and no answers from my direct link to the company (i.e; F.O.S.'s, T.M.'s, etc). Suspiciously unavailable company policies lead to enforcement of "said policies" as deemed necessary. Funny, they took great interest in my FedEx Freight Transportation Manual (which included detailed information about duties/responsibilities as performed by a linehaul driver during every phase of operations from "how-to-log" to "glossary of terminology" used in the trucking industry), which has since "disappeared" when I mentioned I wanted it back. It went from my terminal to the regional offices to XGO to the incinerator!

Thanks Con-Way, for the great example of your Commitment to Excellence when I showed some Integrity and concern for our Safety by tossing it (and my trust) in the trash.

I'm now involved in a situation regarding a mis-pull and my contention with Con-Way is not the money they with-held (which I undestand is against the law) but, why they have "Progressive Discipline" as a policy when they don't apply the policies themselves. It's supposed to be: 1) Verbal Warning, 2) Incident Report, 3) Letter of Instruction, 4) Suspension, 5) Termination.

In my case, it went to step three. I have a perfect, incident-free record, in my years at Con-Way and I now understand why we have no Employee Handbook that we can physically hold in our hands and read at home.

Well, I feel better for now. But that's just because it's Sunday...because it all starts over again tomorrow night!:ranting:

BackHerUp said:
I'm now involved in a situation regarding a mis-pull and my contention with Con-Way is not the money they with-held (which I undestand is against the law) but, why they have "Progressive Discipline" as a policy when they don't apply the policies themselves. It's supposed to be: 1) Verbal Warning, 2) Incident Report, 3) Letter of Instruction, 4) Suspension, 5) Termination.
sorry but miss pulls don't fall under this policy.and con-way is not the only company that will not pay you for a miss pull.

brutus said:
sorry but miss pulls don't fall under this policy.and con-way is not the only company that will not pay you for a miss pull.
not paying for miss pulls is against the labor laws. If it happens to you, you need to contact your local labor board and request a claim form. after you send it back they will review your claim and contact the co. the co. than has 1 pay period to pay you the amount owed. you need to have full documentation. ( pay stub & pay sheet )

Haywould said:
not paying for miss pulls is against the labor laws. If it happens to you, you need to contact your local labor board and request a claim form. after you send it back they will review your claim and contact the co. the co. than has 1 pay period to pay you the amount owed. you need to have full documentation. ( pay stub & pay sheet )
you right it is against the law.What the company is betting is no one will fight them on them on this.It go's back to what I said in the past about some have guts and some don't/What were they called?Lunch room hero's.

brutus said:

My contention isn't so much the $28 I'm out, but the fact that they apply a loose set of policies as they see fit. They stated that I cost them lots of money with the mis-pull (which I do not dispute) however...

Example:
I know of an F.O.S. who recently made one of our linehaul drivers re-work 4 trailers to fit into 3 so that we could cover XMP with a VIA at 4:30am. Our driver (who has a return drive of 4 hrs.) worked an extra 45 minutes to that and was then told "never mind, we don't need you". Ok, fine...come to find out that same F.O.S. realized he had 3 XMP drivers going back (2.75 hr. drive) with empties!! Needless to say, our driver was now late to our barn.
Do you think that F.O.S. was hit with a "delaying freight" charge? After all, he was responsible for knowing what he had for drivers during his re-ship...not to mention whats going on in his sector at all times, especially toward the end of the night...

That's just one example (and probably not a very good one!) but my point is, mistakes are made by everyone. Some cost the company money, that's the nature of this business...but the fact remains is that I don't have a history of making mistakes and "progressive discipline" if applied, would establish a pattern if one were to transpire. As it stands, I went right to "strike three" and don't feel that was right. I have hearing this week regarding this set of circumstances...(more to come).

BTW: Con-Way lost one lawsuit regarding withholding pay (for mis-pulls) 10 years ago (or so), so they've since attempted to re-structure the way they withhold pay (now they don't pay you for the trailer you mis-pull instead of not paying you for the entire run or day or whatever they did in the past)...however, without your written consent and authorization...by law, they cannot withold pay.

BackHerUp said:
My contention isn't so much the $28 I'm out, but the fact that they apply a loose set of policies as they see fit. They stated that I cost them lots of money with the mis-pull (which I do not dispute) however...

Example:
I know of an F.O.S. who recently made one of our linehaul drivers re-work 4 trailers to fit into 3 so that we could cover XMP with a VIA at 4:30am. Our driver (who has a return drive of 4 hrs.) worked an extra 45 minutes to that and was then told "never mind, we don't need you". Ok, fine...come to find out that same F.O.S. realized he had 3 XMP drivers going back (2.75 hr. drive) with empties!! Needless to say, our driver was now late to our barn.
Do you think that F.O.S. was hit with a "delaying freight" charge? After all, he was responsible for knowing what he had for drivers during his re-ship...not to mention whats going on in his sector at all times, especially toward the end of the night...

That's just one example (and probably not a very good one!) but my point is, mistakes are made by everyone. Some cost the company money, that's the nature of this business...but the fact remains is that I don't have a history of making mistakes and "progressive discipline" if applied, would establish a pattern if one were to transpire. As it stands, I went right to "strike three" and don't feel that was right. I have hearing this week regarding this set of circumstances...(more to come).

BTW: Con-Way lost one lawsuit regarding withholding pay (for mis-pulls) 10 years ago (or so), so they've since attempted to re-structure the way they withhold pay (now they don't pay you for the trailer you mis-pull instead of not paying you for the entire run or day or whatever they did in the past)...however, without your written consent and authorization...by law, they cannot withold pay.
Get all your paper work to gether on this matter and call your dept of labor.

scroodigan,

con-way is a sound good company. I dont know why you are so concerned. ltl is hard thats why we get the big bucks. gfy why do you keep calling conway cf? You know that is a slap in the face to us xcornflakers. Thats o-k though I moved on...Just remember one thing. the only thing different is the color of the trucks!! work sucks but we need the bucks and I havent hit the lotto yet either.

trucker4cf said:
scroodigan,

con-way is a sound good company. I dont know why you are so concerned. ltl is hard thats why we get the big bucks. gfy why do you keep calling conway cf? You know that is a slap in the face to us xcornflakers. Thats o-k though I moved on...Just remember one thing. the only thing different is the color of the trucks!! work sucks but we need the bucks and I haven't hit the lotto yet either.
the work doesn't suck,I like my job.What I don't like are the hypocrisies,Disrespect,Dis regards for the things they say they(management) standsfor.Why would you feel that calling are self's C.F (Conway freight) is a slap in the face.Its the name that started us,Are team,Our family and all that go with this place.If I am hurting your feelings I'm sorry.You need a hug.

gfy said:
the work doesn't suck,I like my job.What I don't like are the hypocrisies,Disrespect,Dis regards for the things they say they(management) standsfor.Why would you feel that calling are self's C.F (Conway freight) is a slap in the face.Its the name that started us,Are team,Our family and all that go with this place.If I am hurting your feelings I'm sorry.You need a hug.
I do!:puke:

What really sucks is that alot of people will not get involved to change the way the company is heading. Just for the heck of it, what have some of you done to change the way we are heading? After all there are three kind of people, those that make things happen, those that watch, those that wonder what just happen. Just to start, I will be first to say SEC, Lawsuits, DOL, EEOC, WDR, just to start. Now tell me what will you do?