XPO | New Driver Pay Package

Runs are assigned based on availability first. Say someone got stuck in a storm and got back at noon. He's not available until 10:00pm. If his bid choices start earlier, then yes, senior man can be passed over because he's not available for the dispatch time.
That is right. Sometimes sucks, but that's the deal. Years ago, when something like that occurred most of us junior guys,(back then), understood the definition of; respecting seniority and paying your dues, so we would let someone turn out ahead of us so they could reset and get back on track. That was before this entitlement generation began poisoning the workforce. But fortunately those of us who didn't forget where we came from, still practice respect and common courtesy.

That is right. Sometimes sucks, but that's the deal. Years ago, when something like that occurred most of us junior guys,(back then), understood the definition of; respecting seniority and paying your dues, so we would let someone turn out ahead of us so they could reset and get back on track. That was before this entitlement generation began poisoning the workforce. But fortunately those of us who didn't forget where we came from, still practice respect and common courtesy.
Agree, draggin. This new generation just doesn't 'get it'. Having been at the bottom many times, I do like where I am now...very near the top. Still, I have a slight 'soft spot' for those guys, having been there before..as we all have.

It sure is funny the guys who argue that seniority based policy is bad news. You guys get too much vacation.....you guys get all the good linehaul....you guys get the good p and d runs. What else does a company have to give to reward loyalty? That's what it's about. A newer driver gets to earn pto just as I do. I just get more hours per week because of my loyalty to one company for many years. It's not an entitlement, it's a reward. We bid 2 weeks at job selection all the way to the bottom. There were times I couldn't hold all those days at Christmas, but I can now. I wonder how posters here would react if all these seniority based processes we have went out the window and guys with less time than they had were gobbling up work/off time they should have recieved. There is a method in the madness in which we call seniority.

Agree, draggin. This new generation just doesn't 'get it'. Having been at the bottom many times, I do like where I am now...very near the top. Still, I have a slight 'soft spot' for those guys, having been there before..as we all have.
its more individual then generational! just the other week i had i via the guy behind me got a straight shot to reship,he beat me there by no more than 10 minutes and he knew how far behind i was cause he called me up.we went back to our previous policy this year regarding who gets to turn and burn <by dispatch time not first come first serve>i'm 43 he's in his late 50's! RESPECT is not a generation thing

Just a note to the lower seniority guys who can't get the run that they want, that can't get the start time that they want, that can't get the truck that they want, and that can't get the vacation time that they want.
The higher seniority guys went through the exact same thing years ago, while they were coming up through the ranks. They suffered and couldn't get what they wanted either.........for a long time. They bit their tongue and sacrificed a lot of different things.......now it's your turn.
I do not think vacation time should be lumped into the rest of the seniority perks. All men regardless of service rank have families and enjoy specific past times, all men regardless of service rank earn PTO to spend with their families and enjoy their past times, all men hold a common desire to enjoy their families and their past times. Time off plays an important role in keeping up a man's heart and spirits, which helps maintain a man's morale. When more men in the work place are happy and feel like they aren't getting screwed out of quality PTO, all men in the workplace and the company benefit. Time is one of the few things we can truly say we own and time ownership transcends seniority and should be treated by management with proper respect to insure that ALL employees get a modicum of quality time throughout the year. Screwing a low seniority guy out of his own quality time, is wrong and management should make the effort to insure that all men, regardless of service rank, enjoy the prospects of getting the best possible PTO.

Although I agree with how you put it in writing, it still doesn't take away the fact that those current senior drivers got the same screwing for decades while they were coming up through the ranks. They had to take their lumps, now the lower seniority has to take theirs. That's just how it works.

My philosophy in life has always been......"if one person is getting favored, someone else is getting screwed".

If the vacation policy was changed, the high seniority is getting screwed. And since it's a long standing practice (everywhere) to protect seniority, it shouldn't be changed.IMO

It sure is funny the guys who argue that seniority based policy is bad news. You guys get too much vacation.....you guys get all the good linehaul....you guys get the good p and d runs. What else does a company have to give to reward loyalty? That's what it's about. A newer driver gets to earn pto just as I do. I just get more hours per week because of my loyalty to one company for many years. It's not an entitlement, it's a reward. We bid 2 weeks at job selection all the way to the bottom. There were times I couldn't hold all those days at Christmas, but I can now. I wonder how posters here would react if all these seniority based processes we have went out the window and guys with less time than they had were gobbling up work/off time they should have recieved. There is a method in the madness in which we call seniority.

I agree and have no problem with the whole seniority thing. I believe the problem in this company is when you ask the TM or your FOS how system will work with the way work is handed out (driving or dock) and then the next day it changes for the senior guy. It has happened to me and I also seen it happen to other guys. We are all paid to do the same job but it like it is below some driver to work the dock or even jockey, but if they didn't get there 8hrs they will do anything even hide in the bathroom. We the FOS are crying about how far behind on the dock they are and you are forced to work the dock after you been there for 11hrs and then a senior guy who started after you gets the 8 and skate with forklifts still parked it would **** you off too. From what I have seen Mr. Jacobs does not care that you been here 20yrs or 2 weeks if you are not need or do not do the job you will be on the outside looking in. Just ask anyone that was let go.

I don't have a problem with seniority gets vacation 1st and picking what shift you want to work. But they let drivers pass work they don't like to lower seniority. Every company in the rest of the world other than ltl would not let employees chose not to do certain jobs. Such as pass a via they don't like. They would just say here it is you have to do it. Although xsw did do that for a while. But most let drivers pass them.

My SC manager is super secretive and treat us like we are veal always in the dark and chained down. And we ask about what's going on he screams at us tells we are lucky to have jobs. Morel is at an all time low. We just wanna know what's going on.
Sounds like a call to the ethics hotline to me... Your TM needs to be made available to the industry.

My SC manager is super secretive and treat us like we are veal always in the dark and chained down. And we ask about what's going on he screams at us tells we are lucky to have jobs. Morel is at an all time low. We just wanna know what's going on.
He'll learn the TM are a dime a dozen. Drive aren't

Sounds like a call to the ethics hotline to me... Your TM needs to be made available to the industry.
That 'ethics' hotline is garbage. I used it once for what I thought was a pretty legitimate reason (was granted a PTO day several weeks before, then they apparently tried to call me in...my phone was OFF). Got an LOI for not being available. Called the 'bat phone' then got a nice impersonal email (not a phone call) from our regional HR 'yes-man' stating why I should've been available to work even though I was granted the PTO day. Are you KIDDING me????

Just a note to the lower seniority guys who can't get the run that they want, that can't get the start time that they want, that can't get the truck that they want, and that can't get the vacation time that they want.
The higher seniority guys went through the exact same thing years ago, while they were coming up through the ranks. They suffered and couldn't get what they wanted either.........for a long time. They bit their tongue and sacrificed a lot of different things.......now it's your turn.

With all dew respect to your seniority, your saying times should never change? Things should never get better for a "jr driver" (as you "senior driver" like to refer to us)?
A fair majority of the older guys at my barn act like they were born with a silver spoon in their mouths, and why? All because back in the day they had to drive a truck with no power steering and no a/c? Give me a break man! I get it there's a lot more to it than just that, there were the pay cuts and the vacation take backs and the pension plan.... The list goes on and on. But get over it guys, stop acting like the newer guys deserve to get pissed on just because you once did!!

Sounds to me like it might be time for a good old fashioned "come to Jesus" with your TM. He may need to be reminded that poor management begets a poor workforce.

That 'ethics' hotline is garbage. I used it once for what I thought was a pretty legitimate reason (was granted a PTO day several weeks before, then they apparently tried to call me in...my phone was OFF). Got an LOI for not being available. Called the 'bat phone' then got a nice impersonal email (not a phone call) from our regional HR 'yes-man' stating why I should've been available to work even though I was granted the PTO day. Are you KIDDING me????
That's not right.

With all dew respect to your seniority, your saying times should never change? Things should never get better for a "jr driver" (as you "senior driver" like to refer to us)?
A fair majority of the older guys at my barn act like they were born with a silver spoon in their mouths, and why? All because back in the day they had to drive a truck with no power steering and no a/c? Give me a break man! I get it there's a lot more to it than just that, there were the pay cuts and the vacation take backs and the pension plan.... The list goes on and on. But get over it guys, stop acting like the newer guys deserve to get pissed on just because you once did!!
Every company is the same. I spent six years at the bottom on flex. You can't expect to get the same perks as a long time employee. Well, unless your like Bernie sanders!!!

They didn't change anything when the senior drivers had to be here over 15 yrs to get Christmas week why should they change it now. If anyone doesn't want to wait quit and go somewhere you won't have to wait.
Yea and then you also have to work Xmas eve and the day after turkey day and if you don't you don't get paid