XPO | New Driver Pay Package

"Low-skill", you say? You might be more accurate to say low education requirements maybe, but to say low-skill shows that you are either clueless as to what is required to stay accident and injury free, or you just worded it poorly. There are lots of "low skill" drivers out there, but those who can and have avoided major accidents and injuries would be accurate by telling you that you are clueless as to what happens out on the road every day, to even make such a comment. More often than not, it takes a boat load of "skill" to bring everything back in one piece each day.
Yeah those "low skill jobs and truck drivers" on Linehaul with good run can make 80,000-90,000 or more. And city drivers not doing bad can make a good living. Have friend went college got out works for a corp. seems stressed out alot needs make "his numbers" and makes not to much more than me. Me I just ride and do my del. enjoy time with my customers. Really enjoy being a "low skilled truck driver".

The way you talk you're management. "low skill job" and "their truck drivers" gave it away.

First, I'm not management. I say low-skill because driving a truck is classified as low-skill by the government.

I want trucking to be classified as skilled labor just as much as you guys. Here's even a nice article arguing for it to be classified as skilled.

http://askthetrucker.com/professional-truck-driving-requires-no-skill/

I think a lot of you guys and many guys at my barn and throughout this company don't know what it's like to work somewhere else in a more "new age" company and even outside trucking. I'd love to see some of these senior guys hire on somewhere else and act and feel entitled the way they do here at Con-way/XPO.

You can even see a sample of it from the postings a few others have posted about vacation. Sure you deserve to get some good vacation periods because of your seniority but if you think you should get them all because your seniority, you're wrong. "But they did it to me when I was a junior guy" this place isn't a union but these senior guys sure like to think it is.

When a junior guy gets a good run and these senior guys "but that's my run" no that's con-way/xpo's run and this isn't a union company and there is no policy making them give you that run.

Can you imagine if we were dispatched based on our availability like these regional/OTR drivers and not having guys ask each other and texting and calling one another every night wondering who is going where and whether they are taking their lunch on the way or stopping for a rest, etc.. On and on and on.

Last edited:
First, I'm not management. I say low-skill because driving a truck is classified as low-skill by the government.

I want trucking to be classified as skilled labor just as much as you guys. Here's even a nice article arguing for it to be classified as skilled.

I think a lot of you guys and many guys at my barn and throughout this company don't know what it's like to work somewhere else in a more "new age" company and even outside trucking. I'd love to see some of these senior guys hire on somewhere else and act and feel entitled the way they do here at Con-way/XPO.

You can even see a sample of it from the postings a few others have posted about vacation. Sure you deserve to get some good vacation periods because of your seniority but if you think you should get them all because your seniority, you're wrong. "But they did it to me when I was a junior guy" this place isn't a union but these senior guys sure like to think it is.

When a junior guy gets a good run and these senior guys "but that's my run" no that's con-way/xpo's run and this isn't a union company and there is no policy making them give you that run.

Can you imagine if we were dispatched based on our availability like these regional/OTR drivers and not having guys ask each other and texting and calling one another every night wondering who is going where and whether they are taking their lunch on the way or stopping for a rest, etc.. On and on and on.

You talk and act like management period. Maybe you missed your calling. Like others have said on here, we get to pick the first two weeks and then it goes down the line. The part about it's not your run is wrong, it's called a bid. The part about assigning runs according to "availability", what does that even mean? I ran the road when I first started and they would hide loads for their favorites. Is that what you want? We either have service rank or favoritism. If you pick the latter, remember you might not always be in grace with the TM.

Your a driver do you consider yourself a low skill worker? I do not! And just because the govt. Said so does not mean the govt. Is correct. What has the govt gotten correct lately?:1036316054::hilarious:(Govt.)

You can consider yourself whatever you want but the government classifies us as unskilled labor. Companies like to call us professionals to make us feel important.

Man you get meeting some of us never saw the video or even got the stuff when the sale of the company was done

Info from this meeting was TM reading from a corp e-mail to be shared w/ employees according to him. No video was shown just an e-mail like I said and then a brief Q&A after...that was it.

Runs are assigned based on availability first. Say someone got stuck in a storm and got back at noon. He's not available until 10:00pm. If his bid choices start earlier, then yes, senior man can be passed over because he's not available for the dispatch time.

Runs are assigned based on availability first. Say someone got stuck in a storm and got back at noon. He's not available until 10:00pm. If his bid choices start earlier, then yes, senior man can be passed over because he's not available for the dispatch time.

You're correct.

At our barn if a guy gets back late he still gets his run even if he will be a late dispatch. I'm new to ltl but I have never seen a non union company use this bidding process. I was suprised this company did it this way. I figured they would just say here is where you are running.

Some people on here talk about PTO time.... or the way bids or city route or start times are here at former Conway now XPO... you know if we didn't get as much pto... or have our runs or our routes/start times for us city guys... this place would become Union over night. I am NOT saying I am in favor of Unions. My mother worked and has retired from UPS (union) and my dad worked as a OTR trucker NON Union. So I have saw both sides....

Some people on here talk about PTO time.... or the way bids or city route or start times are here at former Conway now XPO... you know if we didn't get as much pto... or have our runs or our routes/start times for us city guys... this place would become Union over night. I am NOT saying I am in favor of Unions. My mother worked and has retired from UPS (union) and my dad worked as a OTR trucker NON Union. So I have saw both sides....
Disagree. If you have been here longer than 15 years, you would understand.

Disagree. If you have been here longer than 15 years, you would understand.
I've sat back for months and haven't bothered posting anything but please humor me with how you disagree and what time served has to do with your decision. I should say that i am not in favor of a union and probably never will be ill go back to construction before I'd sign a card BUT I do have to recognize the fact that if they take away PTO and take away "assigned" routes and our pay is not even the bench mark in the industry like it was at one point so what do we have left worth fighting for if they take everything away.

I'm new to ltl but I have never seen a non union company use this bidding process. I was suprised this company did it this way. I figured they would just say here is where you are running.

Which is how one would think a non-union company would be. However, I don't know if you work for XPO but Con-way had kept quite a bit of the policies of it's former Consolidated Freight days. I wasn't a CF driver but if you work/worked here and haven't been here for 15+ years you could see it from the outside looking in. Typically trucking companies, local ones anyways, give the senior drivers more easier/closer routes. However, with Con-way/XPO the longer routes typically are 'easier' as you do less dock time and more drive time which in turn means more money as you make more driving per mile then you do working the dock for hours.

One thing you'll learn in the LTL world is that their aren't many people who do this job for the pure joy of it. It's kind of like oilfield work in a sense that these guys want nothing but to gain an extra cent here or there until they don't, and then they simply want to glide by until retirement.

I've sat back for months and haven't bothered posting anything but please humor me with how you disagree and what time served has to do with your decision. I should say that i am not in favor of a union and probably never will be ill go back to construction before I'd sign a card BUT I do have to recognize the fact that if they take away PTO and take away "assigned" routes and our pay is not even the bench mark in the industry like it was at one point so what do we have left worth fighting for if they take everything away.

The simple fact that you make $20+/hour and $.48+/mile driving a truck after 4 weeks at a truck driving school is something worth fighting for, IMO. How many other careers/jobs do you know of that you can spend 4 weeks training for and make this kind of money?

Last edited:
Just my opinion. The long time employees have been up and down the roller coaster many times. Your basing your thoughts on a hypothetical situation. They haven't done anything yet. If they did, I may change my way of thinking. True this is not the same company of old. But in my neck of the woods, we are the top paid ltl. No weekends or holidays worked, newer equipment. Xpo hasn't done anything yet to give me cause for concern.

The pay is good but that's not everything ESPECIALLY if you have a family what good does it do to make $60K or more a year and buy toys if you can't even get the time off to enjoy them and when your older and you look back at all the stuff you missed with your kids is it REALLY going to be worth it's cause you made Brady Jacobs more money you think he's missing anything he's got planned for you

Just my opinion. The long time employees have been up and down the roller coaster many times. Your basing your thoughts on a hypothetical situation. They haven't done anything yet. If they did, I may change my way of thinking. True this is not the same company of old. But in my neck of the woods, we are the top paid ltl. No weekends or holidays worked, newer equipment. Xpo hasn't done anything yet to give me cause for concern.
I can agree to that at this point they haven't taken anything and I'm holding out hope that this works out for the better. I was one of the people at my barn that was honestly a little excited about new ownership. I wish I could say that in my neck of the woods this was the best operation going, at one time it was but around here we have stated to slide to the back of the pack on a lot of stuff I personally have yet to work a weekend and have no plans to but I know out TM has pushed hard for weekend bids who knows what around the corner and I've rode the roller coaster this long I plan to at least see what's around the corner

The pay is good but that's not everything ESPECIALLY if you have a family what good does it do to make $60K or more a year and buy toys if you can't even get the time off to enjoy them and when your older and you look back at all the stuff you missed with your kids is it REALLY going to be worth it's cause you made Brady Jacobs more money you think he's missing anything he's got planned for you

Don't you think almost every truck driver in America and probably even outside America deals with these same exact things? It's not even just trucking but other careers too. Imagine being a OTR driver getting 1 day off for every 2 weeks your out. It's probably unfair for me to bring up the OTR drivers so much. As they say, local trucking is a job while OTR is a lifestyle.

I can agree to that at this point they haven't taken anything and I'm holding out hope that this works out for the better. I was one of the people at my barn that was honestly a little excited about new ownership. I wish I could say that in my neck of the woods this was the best operation going, at one time it was but around here we have stated to slide to the back of the pack on a lot of stuff I personally have yet to work a weekend and have no plans to but I know out TM has pushed hard for weekend bids who knows what around the corner and I've rode the roller coaster this long I plan to at least see what's around the corner

I think we all want this to be better than what we have now. Nothing has changed from 4 months(right?) to now except we have less freight then we did then and they've laid off some people. I personally wouldn't mind working weekends, but on a 1 on 1 off cycle.

Which is how one would think a non-union company would be. However, I don't know if you work for XPO but Con-way had kept quite a bit of the policies of it's former Consolidated Freight days. I wasn't a CF driver but if you work/worked here and haven't been here for 15+ years you could see it from the outside looking in. Typically trucking companies, local ones anyways, give the senior drivers more easier/closer routes. However, with Con-way/XPO the longer routes typically are 'easier' as you do less dock time and more drive time which in turn means more money as you make more driving per mile then you do working the dock for hours.

One thing you'll learn in the LTL world is that their aren't many people who do this job for the pure joy of it. It's kind of like oilfield work in a sense that these guys want nothing but to gain an extra cent here or there until they don't, and then they simply want to glide by until retirement.

The simple fact that you make $20+/hour and $.48+/mile driving a truck after 4 weeks at a truck driving school is something worth fighting for, IMO. How many other careers/jobs do you know of that you can spend 4 weeks training for and make this kind of money?

You can't beat up looksstock that much the fact that LTL companies are running truck driving school is the way the industry has headed. The fact is 10yrs ago companies like con-way had guys beating down there doors to work there and that's why con-way treated the drivers like :crap: because there were 10 guys standing outside willing to take there place. Con-way and a lot of the other non-union LTL carries have always been one small step behind the union companies with pay and benefits and then CF slammed the doors closed and that when the changed started to happen

That's the trucking industry and if you don't like it find a new career. To me working odd hours and being home every day is more important than living on the road, been there done that,