XPO | New Driver Pay Package

We have had a good streak lately. I'd like to see the board stay respectful. The participation has been building up nicely.
I've monitored this board (and several others) for a long time, but I would never post because of all of the personal attacks, so I just stayed quiet. But since Upnorth doesn't tolerate that :horseshit:anymore, I've started to chime in on you guy's conversations. I like the peaceful conversations now. Although I don't know what some of your abbreviations stand for, I can usually figure them out.
Hopefully it stays that way......or I'm gone.
:1036316054:

Central/Con-way should have manufactured 102" wide trailers instead of 96" inch wide trailers. When you load freight sideways to get those extra two skid spots they are crammed together and the rear-end of the trailers have those damn metal flange endings that stick out so if you have freight crammed in and then the two spots in the rear you have to raise the freight and sit it down once inside or turn it sideways and cock-eye it in there.

I honestly think just by having 102" wide trailers we'd have less damage. Some freight we get you can tell is actually geared towards that and then we have to fit it in our 96" inside pups.

What?! I've been retired for a couple of years and hadn't seen a 96" pup for several years before that.

I don't normally make responses on here, but this time I'll make an exception. I've been here 22 years and I feel as a lot of "old timers" feel we have earned our PTO time. Mine is 6 weeks, so what, when you've been here that long, you to will appreciate getting that much time off each year. I don't understand why you feel we haven't earned it? A lot of us " old timers " have put up with many issues over the years, so we feel we've earned what we get for PTO.

Thanks. I bet you're a senior driver who comes in everyday and bitches about this and that to your wife making her miserable with your complaining but you keep showing up everyday knowing full well that the same :::shit::: you complained yesterday about will be happening again today and again tomorrow.
Maybe you should go work for less somewhere else. I will keep what I have, thank you.

I don't normally make responses on here, but this time I'll make an exception. I've been here 22 years and I feel as a lot of "old timers" feel we have earned our PTO time. Mine is 6 weeks, so what, when you've been here that long, you to will appreciate getting that much time off each year. I don't understand why you feel we haven't earned it? A lot of us " old timers " have put up with many issues over the years, so we feel we've earned what we get for PTO.

Maybe you should go work for less somewhere else. I will keep what I have, thank you.

I probably shouldn't have said you guys haven't earned it as much as I should have said Con-way over-inflated your vacation time in the first place.

How many careers in America today do you know that give their employees 6 weeks of PTO? I don't know of many that give that many weeks at all especially not in a low-skill job like trucking. I think Con-way was more pressured to give that much time off in the past because the competition with the union companies. I think XPO will not be so worried about it, and I bet many of the union companies would like to squash some of the vacation time as well.

Let's take a look at these charts by the Bureau of Labor.

2009 - http://www.bls.gov/ncs/ebs/benefits/2009/ownership/civilian/table23a.htm

2011 - http://www.bls.gov/ncs/ebs/benefits/2011/ownership/private/table23a.htm

2013 - http://www.bls.gov/ncs/ebs/benefits/2013/ownership/private/table23a.htm

I really don't think XPO will continue letting their truck drivers have 6 weeks of PTO.

I agree, you put the time in and you earned the time off. I don't know how they do vacation planning at your place, at mine, we have two rounds. First round, the guys get to allocate their PTO in blocks of weeks off and they can reserve up to as much as they have available. Second round, we get to reserve PTO by individual days. Inevitably and year after year, one group of guys gets all the prime weeks and days off and another, much larger group of guy getting what's left. Don't you think it would be more "fair" to all hands if XPO created a new first round? For example and again in order of seniority, every driver, regardless of how many weeks vacation he has, is allowed to reserve only one week, after that first round is over, then we go on to allow drivers to reserve whatever additional weeks or days they have remaining.

I probably shouldn't have said you guys haven't earned it as much as I should have said Con-way over-inflated your vacation time in the first place.

How many careers in America today do you know that give their employees 6 weeks of PTO? I don't know of many that give that many weeks at all especially not in a low-skill job like trucking. I think Con-way was more pressured to give that much time off in the past because the competition with the union companies. I think XPO will not be so worried about it, and I bet many of the union companies would like to squash some of the vacation time as well.

I really don't think XPO will continue letting their truck drivers have 6 weeks of PTO.

The way you talk you're management. "low skill job" and "their truck drivers" gave it away.

why dont u look at what the rest of 1st worlds offers. we are not even close as usa is concerned, where as conways prior vaca's r respectable and above american average.

I agree, you put the time in and you earned the time off. I don't know how they do vacation planning at your place, at mine, we have two rounds. First round, the guys get to allocate their PTO in blocks of weeks off and they can reserve up to as much as they have available. Second round, we get to reserve PTO by individual days. Inevitably and year after year, one group of guys gets all the prime weeks and days off and another, much larger group of guy getting what's left. Don't you think it would be more "fair" to all hands if XPO created a new first round? For example and again in order of seniority, every driver, regardless of how many weeks vacation he has, is allowed to reserve only one week, after that first round is over, then we go on to allow drivers to reserve whatever additional weeks or days they have remaining.
all the prime weeks<holidays only need to use 4 pto's>would be taken regardless plus at my barn i have 5 guys below me and 11 above and i have no problem getting ALL my vacations in the summer

I don't know of many that give that many weeks at all especially not in a low-skill job like trucking.
"Low-skill", you say? You might be more accurate to say low education requirements maybe, but to say low-skill shows that you are either clueless as to what is required to stay accident and injury free, or you just worded it poorly. There are lots of "low skill" drivers out there, but those who can and have avoided major accidents and injuries would be accurate by telling you that you are clueless as to what happens out on the road every day, to even make such a comment. More often than not, it takes a boat load of "skill" to bring everything back in one piece each day.

The way you talk you're management. "low skill job" and "their truck drivers" gave it away.
Yeah those "low skill jobs and truck drivers" on Linehaul with good run can make 80,000-90,000 or more. And city drivers not doing bad can make a good living. Have friend went college got out works for a corp. seems stressed out alot needs make "his numbers" and makes not to much more than me. Me I just ride and do my del. enjoy time with my customers. Really enjoy being a "low skilled truck driver".

"Low-skill", you say? You might be more accurate to say low education requirements maybe, but to say low-skill shows that you are either clueless as to what is required to stay accident and injury free, or you just worded it poorly. There are lots of "low skill" drivers out there, but those who can and have avoided major accidents and injuries would be accurate by telling you that you are clueless as to what happens out on the road every day, to even make such a comment. More often than not, it takes a boat load of "skill" to bring everything back in one piece each day.

Like Northern stated drivers have skills. :kicking:

Agree, scotch. It was the same way when I worked there. The same group got the same weeks....EVERY year. Rotating selection, by seniority, is the only fair way to do it.

Agree, scotch. It was the same way when I worked there. The same group got the same weeks....EVERY year. Rotating selection, by seniority, is the only fair way to do it.
Yep, it was like for the first five years of employment, I could not get a week off from late May until late August. I have ten years in now, and I still cannot get a week before or after the fourth of July, the week between Christmas and New Years or the week before or after Labor Day. I get the argument from the old timers who paid their dues and had to get crapped on like me and the others, but you know at some point, it becomes necessary to break the cycle of guys getting screwed out of the good PTO weeks just because of their service rank.

Yep, it was like for the first five years of employment, I could not get a week off from late May until late August. I have ten years in now, and I still cannot get a week before or after the fourth of July, the week between Christmas and New Years or the week before or after Labor Day. I get the argument from the old timers who paid their dues and had to get crapped on like me and the others, but you know at some point, it becomes necessary to break the cycle of guys getting screwed out of the good PTO weeks just because of their service rank.
Quite possibly the BEST post I've seen on this board, scotch! Very well-put! Like you, I'll never forget where I came FROM...the bottom. And therefore, will never dump on the guys below me.