XPO | The boxboss question and answer thread

This thread is very interesting! I do have a question for you mr. boxboss. I tried to read all the threads some were wasting my time others were inquisitve. So I ask this question, What kind of company does not give thier employees a policy book? I was told that it was to keep our companies policies secure that some other company might take them and copy them....with the turn over rate at conway the other companies already have our policies. Im sure you are not going to agree with me, but I personally believe that it is to keep us divided and questioning our jobs. We never know what is the policy and what is just something the TM has come up with this week. I was told that our TM can access it over the computer, we just have to go and ask. Yea Ok.
Next Question.
Why in the world when we get written up for something...pulled into the mans office do we not get a witness? I personally do not consider another supervisor a witness. I know a guy that got written up for not communicating, Now he's a P&D driver, got called to come in early on a monday to go to another town that he was not told about ahead of time. Got lost in a place with no reception and drove 20 miles out of the way. Then we he said he wouldnt sign the loi he was bullied, told he could be put out of service 4 not signing the Loi.
I know for a fact that we do not have to sign anything. But because we dont sign we can be put out of service....STUPID. Is that a policy

Maybe Box Boss you can download the Policy book post it online So that all your fans here at trucking boards will now be in the light.....of course that is till they rewrite the book next week...lol

I appreciate you answering Qs I know you dont have to...and hope I didnt come after you in any way...these are just my Qs. Thanks.

This thread is very interesting! I do have a question for you mr. boxboss. I tried to read all the threads some were wasting my time others were inquisitve. So I ask this question, What kind of company does not give thier employees a policy book? I was told that it was to keep our companies policies secure that some other company might take them and copy them....with the turn over rate at conway the other companies already have our policies. Im sure you are not going to agree with me, but I personally believe that it is to keep us divided and questioning our jobs. We never know what is the policy and what is just something the TM has come up with this week. I was told that our TM can access it over the computer, we just have to go and ask. Yea Ok.
Next Question.
Why in the world when we get written up for something...pulled into the mans office do we not get a witness? I personally do not consider another supervisor a witness. I know a guy that got written up for not communicating, Now he's a P&D driver, got called to come in early on a monday to go to another town that he was not told about ahead of time. Got lost in a place with no reception and drove 20 miles out of the way. Then we he said he wouldnt sign the loi he was bullied, told he could be put out of service 4 not signing the Loi.
I know for a fact that we do not have to sign anything. But because we dont sign we can be put out of service....STUPID. Is that a policy

Maybe Box Boss you can download the Policy book post it online So that all your fans here at trucking boards will now be in the light.....of course that is till they rewrite the book next week...lol

I appreciate you answering Qs I know you dont have to...and hope I didnt come after you in any way...these are just my Qs. Thanks.

Well, don't look for the policies manual to be posted here anytime soon...
But you answered your first question...Anyone that wants to investigate something in the manual just has to come in and ask, and I will go right to it...Haven't denied a request in over a decade, and there shouldn't be any reason for any other SCM to do so..
When someone comes into my office for something, I ask if they would like to have someone in with them...99.9% of the time, they say no...It's always good to have an extra person in (PS) just so there is no mistaking what was discussed..And it is always good to try to summarize what was talked about before anyone leaves so everyone is on the same page...
I suppose it is all in the way you handle it...If I have someone in my office over something I am confused about that may or may not have happened, I want to make sure I have all the facts from everyone before putting something in a guy's file...many times, issues are resolved in those discussions without discipline being issued..

If you refuse to sign a L.O.I. at our barn, then you are toast....just sign it and move on. Just don't make the same mistake...remember, we don't own the place, we work for the place.

Hey Box, when you going to get an avatar? How about SC or CAL.? Or are you a Raiders fan? Dodgers? I haven't had time to keep up with the Sports thread, so please don't tell me I should've been paying attention..

policy book

Next Question.

my thought on the (book) is.#1 for all the companys ive worked for the employees have a copy of the (book) on hand to reference anytime they want.#2 heck my daughters school sends one out at the begining of the school year.#3 ive allways wonderd why employees dont or cant have one?? whats so secret?#4 why we cant have one?i think its because if they want to change or add something they can whenever they want,its not hard to deleate something so the scale tips in a certain favor,on a policy that is online.id give anything to have one,well almost anything. so my question to boxboss is why cant an employee have a copy? all kinds of corp. have them whats so special about con-ways policy book? sounds like just about every policy book out there is going to have almost the same stuff in it according to who you work for and where you work.

So I ask this question, What kind of company does not give thier employees a policy book? I was told that it was to keep our companies policies secure that some other company might take them and copy them....with the turn over rate at conway the other companies already have our policies. Im sure you are not going to agree with me, but I personally believe that it is to keep us divided and questioning our jobs. We never know what is the policy and what is just something the TM has come up with this week.

From my experience Con-Way doesn't have many concrete policies. The policies seem to be res ipsa loquitur based on individual circumstances rather than actual facts.

Therefore if you had in your hand a copy of the company policy book you would be armed with information with which you could accurately argue a point. In other words you have power to potentially and sucessfully negotiate a resolution to a concern. This is tantamount to having in your possesssion a copy of a union contract if you are employed by an entity that was so engaged.

The company you work for doesn't want their employees to be so empowered as to be able to intelligently question their decision making authority (which they ultimately have the final say in anyway) or to question the validity of a particular policy or decision. Then there is the legal aspect of it as well. If you had in your posession a copy of the company policy it would be feasible to consult an attorney on the legalities and liabilities on a particular policy or decision. This is not to say it cannot be done without the policy in hand, but it makes it more difficult (and expensive) for the employee to legally challenge a company decision. Simply put...your attorney would need to contact the company and ultimately the company's attorneys and you would effectually be taken out of the loop.

As it stands now, if you are pulled into the office you are read the company policy from whatever manager has access to it. It may be completely different from what the employee understood it to be. You are given policy facts as the company currently views them and that is that. No time to digest the issue or to contemplate an intellgent or viable argument. Confusion and surprise are the tools of this game...keep your opponent on the defense. If you possessed a copy of the company policy you would and should have the opportunity to be on the offensive.

Not gonna happen!

In my now defunct barn there were three seperate incidents of harrassment from the same DSR. Two were physical (one potentially very serious) and one of verbal harrassment.

The intial problem caused the DSR to go to court. The person recieved jail time and probation afterword. He violated the probation and was sent back to jail. Then the person decided to physically harrass an individual with a forklift. Hence the potentially very serious comment from above.

The TM would do nothing about it not even so much as to contact his RM or XGO to resolve any of these issues as he wanted XGO to think everything was just hunky dory at his barn. Well it wasn't. The affected emploees had to go to XGO themselves (one even went as far as to send a letter to Dave M.)

Mike L. was the director of HR at the time. Between him and the now defunct and demoted TM they blew ALL THREE incidents off like it was no big deal. Keep in mind this was at a time when there was a policy posting in the glass stating an absolute non harrassment policy company wide...violation (paraphrasing here) would result in immediate termination. Yeah right!

As unbelieveable as it may sound the offending DSR is still employed with the company.

I don't know about you, but I get all warm and fuzzy just knowing that the chain of command at the company is watching out for the safety and welfare of their employees. Again...yeah right!

While BB may run his barn differently I have feeling he is the exception rather than the rule...

Merry Christmas

PS... Every company I have ever worked for other than this one, I was always given a copy of the company's policies

From my experience Con-Way doesn't have many concrete policies. The policies seem to be res ipsa loquitur based on individual circumstances rather than actual facts.

Therefore if you had in your hand a copy of the company policy book you would be armed with information with which you could accurately argue a point. In other words you have power to potentially and sucessfully negotiate a resolution to a concern. This is tantamount to having in your possesssion a copy of a union contract if you are employed by an entity that was so engaged.

The company you work for doesn't want their employees to be so empowered as to be able to intelligently question their decision making authority (which they ultimately have the final say in anyway) or to question the validity of a particular policy or decision. Then there is the legal aspect of it as well. If you had in your posession a copy of the company policy it would be feasible to consult an attorney on the legalities and liabilities on a particular policy or decision. This is not to say it cannot be done without the policy in hand, but it makes it more difficult (and expensive) for the employee to legally challenge a company decision. Simply put...your attorney would need to contact the company and ultimately the company's attorneys and you would effectually be taken out of the loop.

As it stands now, if you are pulled into the office you are read the company policy from whatever manager has access to it. It may be completely different from what the employee understood it to be. You are given policy facts as the company currently views them and that is that. No time to digest the issue or to contemplate an intellgent or viable argument. Confusion and surprise are the tools of this game...keep your opponent on the defense. If you possessed a copy of the company policy you would and should have the opportunity to be on the offensive.

Not gonna happen!

In my now defunct barn there were three seperate incidents of harrassment from the same DSR. Two were physical (one potentially very serious) and one of verbal harrassment.

The intial problem caused the DSR to go to court. The person recieved jail time and probation afterword. He violated the probation and was sent back to jail. Then the person decided to physically harrass an individual with a forklift. Hence the potentially very serious comment from above.

The TM would do nothing about it not even so much as to contact his RM or XGO to resolve any of these issues as he wanted XGO to think everything was just hunky dory at his barn. Well it wasn't. The affected emploees had to go to XGO themselves (one even went as far as to send a letter to Dave M.)

Mike L. was the director of HR at the time. Between him and the now defunct and demoted TM they blew ALL THREE incidents off like it was no big deal. Keep in mind this was at a time when there was a policy posting in the glass stating an absolute non harrassment policy company wide...violation (paraphrasing here) would result in immediate termination. Yeah right!

As unbelieveable as it may sound the offending DSR is still employed with the company.

I don't know about you, but I get all warm and fuzzy just knowing that the chain of command at the company is watching out for the safety and welfare of their employees. Again...yeah right!

While BB may run his barn differently I have feeling he is the exception rather than the rule...

Merry Christmas

PS... Every company I have ever worked for other than this one, I was always given a copy of the company's policies

Well done. I could not have 'splained it better myself.

I worked for a company for a while, the employee handbook, which we all got a copy of, was in a three ring binder......several times a year, they would "update" a policy (completly change it, or, elimanate a portion thereof), and a new page would be sent out to each employee, with a directive to purge the "old" page from the book, and replace it with the new one......

Not much difference between this, and what con-way does.....saves a forest of trees, and, saves the company postage fees to mail out the changes.....

:1036316054:

As it is stated, but no one wanted to take the time to do anything that would help themselves. You can request to look at a portion or all of the policies, from your SCM. You CAN NOT get a printed copy, but you can set at the computer and hand write word for word anything that is in the policy. If your SCM does not want you to do that and gives you a hard time about it, just call XGO. Just remember that this has to be done at regular business hours, ( 8 to 5pm. ).

As it is stated, but no one wanted to take the time to do anything that would help themselves. You can request to look at a portion or all of the policies, from your SCM. You CAN NOT get a printed copy, but you can set at the computer and hand write word for word anything that is in the policy. If your SCM does not want you to do that and gives you a hard time about it, just call XGO. Just remember that this has to be done at regular business hours, ( 8 to 5pm. ).

Simply reinforces my position. No privacy. If you want the policy you have to type it out on a terminal under the watchful eye of the company. No printed copy.

I watched an old newsreel sometime back that reminds me of this selfsame practice. It was a little hard to understand though as it was all in GERMAN

my thought on the (book) is.#1 for all the companys ive worked for the employees have a copy of the (book) on hand to reference anytime they want.#2 heck my daughters school sends one out at the begining of the school year.#3 ive allways wonderd why employees dont or cant have one?? whats so secret?#4 why we cant have one?i think its because if they want to change or add something they can whenever they want,its not hard to deleate something so the scale tips in a certain favor,on a policy that is online.id give anything to have one,well almost anything. so my question to boxboss is why cant an employee have a copy? all kinds of corp. have them whats so special about con-ways policy book? sounds like just about every policy book out there is going to have almost the same stuff in it according to who you work for and where you work.

I don't know why...sorry...they never told us why you can't have a copy, at least from what I can remember..But you can have free access to it in my office and I will be glad to go over any part of it with you..When they tell me you can make a copy, I will help you go to the copy machine and feed it..

Simply reinforces my position. No privacy. If you want the policy you have to type it out on a terminal under the watchful eye of the company. No printed copy.

I watched an old newsreel sometime back that reminds me of this selfsame practice. It was a little hard to understand though as it was all in GERMAN

Oh....I can help you with that if you like.......I am pretty fluent in German.......

:holysheep:

It's gotta be unique...Now, I have seen your choices, and I am a little concerned about what you may come up with...Did we ever decide what he is eating..??

Fruit loops. Did you come up with an idea what you may want ? I could give you one of mine .. lol

Well BB, i appreciate your view on the policy ? I really dont expect to see an actual policy book in my hand anytime soon. I do feel that, in my view, it is meant to keep us confused and as previously stated Dumb to the CON way. I dont want the Scm there while im viewing the policy at hand. I dont need help feeding the printer or copy machine. I want a book to learn, to know what I can and cant do, to argue my case. If they change an policy then they change it. At the very least a book should be posted on line so that the employees can access it at home. Instead on most issues we are like Dumb Cows just roaming the Con Way range. We are not sure what is a policy and what they make up at a moments notice, just to make a case to get rid of one or two folks.

Its amazing that we are so far behind the times at conway that they can only lie and say that its so a competitor wont steal our policies and like the Dumb DSRs they think we are we have to say OK and keep roaming the Range just to get paid.

Yippy Ki Ya....

Hey Boss, I read that you are a TM. If so,do you know if all terminals had a down sized Christmas dinner this year? Ours has always been at a nice resturant with our wives or date. This year we had a local store bring in some trays with soft drinks. I spoke with a driver from XCR and he told me they had the usual nice party, but I don't know how to take him sometime, he likes to crank people up some. Our TM told us that all terminals were cutting back on the party this year. Thanks......