Yellow | The IBT & YRCW MOU On New Pilot Programs November 2018

Pilot program & more hours & Safety ??? is kinda like this pic about Safety 1st !!
de83f2465821c145cf47d2957618a2ec.jpg
Machinery movers use this method regularly, what’s the problem?

Picture like this could very well be a wet dream or nightmare for the insurance underwriter for the company that owns the forklift. von.

The Fisher Body Company built wagons when cars became popular. They saw the trend and changed their format. Once Pensions go the way of dinosaurs, I can't see the IBT staying with NMFA Freight. Its only YRC and ABF now.... Why would newbies come in with no pension?

I’ve had some time to reflect. As Trip has stated, the NMFA is done. What we have is three ‘white paper contracts’ representing three separate companies.

The pension concept is no longer an issue, because they are either defunct or fallacy; in most cases.

We; the Union, and members, have failed to adapt to the changing times.

I’ve had some time to reflect. As Trip has stated, the NMFA is done. What we have is three ‘white paper contracts’ representing three separate companies.

The pension concept is no longer an issue, because they are either defunct or fallacy; in most cases.

We; the Union, and members, have failed to adapt to the changing times.
I'm not sure how we, the union and employees, could have adapted. But I believe your statement is true.

I'm not sure how we, the union and employees, could have adapted. But I believe your statement is true.
I cannot speak for Elwood. But negotiating on some of our antiquated work rules, would have been a start. There remain many common sense modifications, that are feasible. It simply impossible to be competitive in a cost driven market, when in some situations 2 employees are being paid to accomplish one job. Make no mistake, there are also many opportunities on the management side, as well. The question is, will labor and management accept this fact, before it is too late?

the Teamsters may or may not survive, but I can't see them in Freight within the next 15 years...
Kinda thinking you are correct as they don't really seem to want to be be the freight trucking anymore , as putting little effort into it anymore , because just look at all the past freight companies gone and only what like down to a few bigger ones left !

I cannot speak for Elwood. But negotiating on some of our antiquated work rules, would have been a start. There remain many common sense modifications, that are feasible. It simply impossible to be competitive in a cost driven market, when in some situations 2 employees are being paid to accomplish one job. Make no mistake, there are also many opportunities on the management side, as well. The question is, will labor and management accept this fact, before it is too late?
I believe paying 2 people to do the same job (one does the work while the other is waiting ex: wait on a hook) is not cost effective but with the current DOT hours of service rules this may be more cost effective than having a road driver use hours doing the hook.

I'm curious, how do other companies handle this situation? I worked for OD in 1985-1988 and I remember getting paid delay pay ($7.00hr I think). I know I got pin pay for hooking and unhooking.

I also worked for Wilson freight from 1999-200l and we didn't get any yard pay or delay pay; we got milage pay only. But that is also exactly why I quit. I would not put up with all that nonpaid waiting time. Shortly after I quit the DOT changed the hours of service rules to 14 hours maximum. And, I heard, that put a stop to all that waiting time at Wilson.

So I'm wondering what other companies do, that union companies don't, that make them more cost effective?

I believe paying 2 people to do the same job (one does the work while the other is waiting ex: wait on a hook) is not cost effective but with the current DOT hours of service rules this may be more cost effective than having a road driver use hours doing the hook.

I'm curious, how do other companies handle this situation? I worked for OD in 1985-1988 and I remember getting paid delay pay ($7.00hr I think). I know I got pin pay for hooking and unhooking.

I also worked for Wilson freight from 1999-200l and we didn't get any yard pay or delay pay; we got milage pay only. But that is also exactly why I quit. I would not put up with all that nonpaid waiting time. Shortly after I quit the DOT changed the hours of service rules to 14 hours maximum. And, I heard, that put a stop to all that waiting time at Wilson.

So I'm wondering what other companies do, that union companies don't, that make them more cost effective?
Homesick, the current HOS regulations really are not that restrictive. And in the example you cite, management must be just as concerned as the driver. What I mean is sitting down and figure out when to dispatch a driver so the arrival time is appropriate to the outbound loads being pre-strung. Coordination is lacking, but some common sense would improve the process.

Homesick, the current HOS regulations really are not that restrictive. And in the example you cite, management must be just as concerned as the driver. What I mean is sitting down and figure out when to dispatch a driver so the arrival time is appropriate to the outbound loads being pre-strung. Coordination is lacking, but some common sense would improve the process.
Correct when I ran the board Chicago dispatch call you for a 22:00 start for a 500+ run. We call central tell them we can’t make they tell you run into closest terminal. Now they scramble to find driver who can cover to original destination. You get paid original dispatch miles plus all wait time in drivers lounge. Coordinate a little better your profits increase along with service.

While union carriers are with their families enjoying the day off, our non union competition is out delivering freight on Black Friday.

You partially answered your own question. Paying 2 people to do 1 job.
The hours of service have nothing to do with say a road guy hooking his own. He would punch in, get his assignment of equipment and hook it and be gone faster than most yard people. 1 person paid.
The competition does everything, from hooks, to fueling, dock, switching, with 1 person. Same guy could do any task to keep freight and equipment moving. Utility employees basically.
Like Albag has stated numerous times;
Antiquated, or anti productive work rules.
As an example.I always have wondered why on holidays especially, yrc will pay shuttle drivers, triple time moving trls to and from the rails, and you don’t see any of the competitors on the road, who are moving as much or more freight.

While union carriers are with their families enjoying the day off, our non union competition is out delivering freight on Black Friday.
I was dispatched on my normal lay bid on Thursday (Thanksgiving) and returned on Friday. I talked with a close friend who runs a St. Louis bid from Marietta Ga. who also dispatched on Thursday (Thanksgiving) laid over and came back to Marietta on Friday. The city terminal in Jackson Ms. had several city people working Friday and Roy (St. Louis bid guy) said that city employees were working in St. Louis too.