TForce | UPS Freight contract negotiations?

Again Pension questions, concerns, etc will not be addressed in your contract. The contract however may outline contributions for hours worked etc, but will not have particulars of the pension. I have said this a hundred times. You need to research the pension fund that is in your area. That means contacting the local that will cover you, find out the name of the fund, call the fund and ask questions, the questions you have, not generalizations. You have certain question that need anwering, so you need to contact them and ask them.

Heathcare? You say many Teamster locals are requiring members to contribute to pay medical on top of their dues.
Again for the hundreth time dues have nothing to do with benifits. Dues are to run and administer the local and its overhead. Dues money does not go into any pension or Heatlh and Welfare funds PERIOD
Now I want to know the many local out there that are doing this. What areas, local numbers, I highly doubt that, besides co-pays and elective procedures that medical coverage is not being covered. You say many, how many?

401k(s) both Freight and UPS were bonus plans offered to freight memebers and UPS members by the International. The companies have absolutly nothing to do with them except take the monies from your wages and submit them to the proper administartors.
They are a supplemental way of saving on your own, for your own benifit. A way to save and not pilfer it before its time.
Why is it so important to have contribution or a match? Most matches are a losey percentage of a percentage that is capped at a maxium. Think about it you give $75 of your money and they only match 7% of 50% is only $2.62 BIG DEAL
I control both my Freight and UPS 401k(s) and they are doing quite well. Don't need UPS or my former employer to help in any way.

Seniority, while your on the phone to your local union hall ask them what kind of seniority system is used in thier area.
Are split list used or combo lists?
What are the local by-laws requarding seniority and extra work?
Can you move between jobs on the same list?
Are you penalized if you change job class?
These are all local issues and will not be addressed in depth in a contract that is based in Indy. Areas supplements deal with that and areas of operations covered by local munion usally dictate the rules in those cases.

What other factors are of concern?

Does having a voice in the work palce concern you?
Does having fair and equal treatment outlined in a Collective Barginning Agreement concern you?
Does having the protection aginst unjust firing or disipline concern you?
Does job protection concern you?
Does having the company farm out your job to someone else concern you?

T251

T251,
Is it true that if we become union that everyone then has the same seniority date and seniority is based by last name? I heard this from my TM. I checked with another union driver and he was not sure. He stated he did not know, but had heard the same thing at one time. That we would have new seniority dates because we would all join the union at the same time. Trying to find the truth....

T251,
Is it true that if we become union that everyone then has the same seniority date and seniority is based by last name? I heard this from my TM. I checked with another union driver and he was not sure. He stated he did not know, but had heard the same thing at one time. That we would have new seniority dates because we would all join the union at the same time. Trying to find the truth....

Hell if thats true....where are the cards...:hysterical: :hysterical:

I would be sitting pretty:smilie_132:

T251,

I'm not 251, but I would think it would go by the day you started with the company. Be it O or UPSF.

I'm not 251, but I would think it would go by the day you started with the company. Be it O or UPSF.

I would certainly think so.

Sounds like that was a TM scare tactic to me.

If a TM even said it, it was an anti-union statement.

Anyone with any seniority at all would be against that...unless the first 5 letters of their last name were A...LOL.

I for one am for it, I am in the B's:biglaugh:

Although that could possibly be something subject to being negotiated.
I doubt it though, everyone has a start date.

Going under the premise that everyone joined the union at the same time would open the door to everyone's pay starting at the 75% rate also...just a thought...

T251,

bamaboy, That is absolutely false. Your date of seniority remains the same as it is now. Seniority is within the company, not the union.

Your TM is either wrong or you misunderstood him. This I know for a fact

Your company seniority would stay intact.

There is no justifaction for starting over and alphabetizing.
You still have vaction based on years served with Overnite. If that was the case you would reset back to zero weeks earned.

Also no where at no time has alphabetical order determined seniority. Its either first to punch on the day of seniority or card draw or coin flip

Take it from the source.
DO NOT LISTEN TO ANY MANAGER that gives you information or guidance on joining or not joining the union.
Do you think for one minute that a manger is going to give you any positive info reguarding the union?

Again let me state this again

Your seniority will stay intact PERIOD

Please I can't say this enough, do not put any faith in what a manager will tell you about the union. Do not believe the rumor monger that states "the TM said this, the TM said that".

Do yourself a favor seperate your questions reguarding the union and either ask another union member, ask someone on the boards, or wait to you have the chance to ask a BA or representative of the local these types of questions.

Peace in the New Year

T2521

Why would the upper managment of UPS Freight waste their time holding anti-union meetings?
When the UPS C.E.O.gave his blessings to J.Hoffa jr. to organize the freight division not long after we were rebraned from Overnite/Motor Cargo to UPS Freight.

We all saw how that whole process worked out.
Cards went out to organize one single terminal.
Indy was that terminal,a custom made to order UPS Freight contract went into the first stage of barganing in Sept,of 06'.
Now with all this thats taken place so far.
Whats up with anti-union meetings?

Why would the upper managment of UPS Freight waste their time holding anti-union meetings?
When the UPS C.E.O.gave his blessings to J.Hoffa jr. to organize the freight division not long after we were rebraned from Overnite/Motor Cargo to UPS Freight.

Indy was that terminal,a custom made to order UPS Freight contract went into the first stage of barganing in Sept,of 06'.

I actually haven't heard of any....except what is mentioned on these boards.

I don't put much stock into the hear say spoken on this site....just makes for interesting reading to see what people are saying.

Hopefully FRM will laugh the Billy Joe Bob out of the terminal like we did. To be frank, I think its just a show to stir the pot. Kind of like the last gasp of the old guard. Can you say BYE, BYE GORDIE? :smilie_132:

T251,

Seniority date = date of fulltime hire .

Now let's not forget people this is a white paper contract, everything and I mean everything as of now is up in the air.

SENIORITY
LANGUAGE
BENEFIT'S
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
WAGES
OVERTIME
PENTION

Also although it is good to ask for feedback from your local they too will be up in the air on this issue considering this is a WHITE PAPER CONTRACT.....

SO UPSFREIGHTMAN IS NOT TOO FAR OFF COARSE.

T251 is infact correct when he say's that dues has nothing to do with how much you pay for your bennies, but if I am correct the teamsters currently pay"O".Towards the bennies they get.

And T251 we do get 1\2 contibution up to 7% contributed to our 401K in the form of stock's by UPS quarterly. The only benifit too having this is if the stock split's.

How often has your stock split scince the inception of this plan T251? out of curiosity of coarse. Are you part of the stock purchase plan first of all, and thanx in advance....

Accelerator have you heard what the Indy contract has in it?
How do you know its just a paper contract?

APO, I have only heard what I am assuming ,we ,who have been to the local meeting's have heard, that this is a white paper contract , Meaning ,this is being built from scratch, but will most likely be a combination of small package and freight.

All this means is the contract will be a combination of the NMFA ( some of the language) because we are freight , combined with ( some of the language from the UPS small package contract) because we are owned by UPS.

What local meetings?
Teamster local meetings?
Do your local Teamsters know whats in the Indy contract so far?
You say the contract is a mix,and match?
Its NMFA,LTL freight,and parcel?
Sounds like its a mix alright,mixed up?
If these are the meetings your posting about,did your local Teamsters say how long this whole process is going to take?

In other words I myself will turn 63 this coming March,how old will I be when everything is all sorted out,and setteled,in your opinion?

What local meetings?
Teamster local meetings?
If these are the meetings your posting about,did your local Teamsters say how long this whole process is going to take?

In other words I myself will turn 63 this coming March,how old will I be when everything is all sorted out,and setteled,in your opinion?

Well first of all I am going too shoot myself for awnsering this post, but, did you not go too your local meeting when they had them at the very beginning of the cardcheck ????, and if so ,did anyone ask as too what kind of contract we will be having????

And we are being told ( just a guess) Febuary.... By the hall. But just a guess. nothing more. At this time if a contract is put out too us we must agree before a vote and when that is done regional suppliment's must then be added to meet the need's of your region, every region is different......

Seniority date = date of fulltime hire .

Now let's not forget people this is a white paper contract, everything and I mean everything as of now is up in the air.

SENIORITY
LANGUAGE
BENEFIT'S
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
WAGES
OVERTIME
PENTION

Also although it is good to ask for feedback from your local they too will be up in the air on this issue considering this is a WHITE PAPER CONTRACT.....

SO UPSFREIGHTMAN IS NOT TOO FAR OFF COARSE.

T251 is infact correct when he say's that dues has nothing to do with how much you pay for your bennies, but if I am correct the teamsters currently pay"O".Towards the bennies they get.

And T251 we do get 1\2 contibution up to 7% contributed to our 401K in the form of stock's by UPS quarterly. The only benifit too having this is if the stock split's.

How often has your stock split scince the inception of this plan T251? out of curiosity of coarse. Are you part of the stock purchase plan first of all, and thanx in advance....

I must admit I misunderstood the 401k contrbutions but still see no bearing out deciding for representation based on that.

As far the stock, you bet your sweet bippy I'm in it.

I made out HUGE on my USF stock when Yellow bought them. I was in Vegas whenb I heard the news and couldn't ge to my laptop fast enough to see waht the stock ws doing.
I was in the plan for over 10 years and made more than most truck drivers earn in a year. I was a sweet check to get.

Stock purchase program with the company you work for are usally great. Get in on it.

BTW my fisrt union comapny I worked for was White Paper and the only difference we had was lower wages. Everything else was freight rate, pension, H&W etc.

White paper usaully signfiies that the contract is seperate and unique for other companies with i the same indusrty.
Don't confuse white paper with sweethearts, many do.

What local meetings?
Teamster local meetings?

older than you:hysterical: are now

I guess the reason they are holding them in Farmingdale is because the local there decided to petition with the nlrb for an election and it wasnt supposed to occur until after Indy was done. But it is occuring there.

HUH? If you put in 5000 of your own money they will give you 2500 in stock! You dont consider that a benefit? And by the way if it splits you still have the same 2500. A split means they cut the price in half and double your shares. They think people will buy it because its cheaper thus driving the price higher. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. The company still has to perform to impress investors.