FedEx Freight | UPS Freight warns shippers to brace for possible freight strike

You don't know me, what i do, or how I do it......so it would behoove you to not lump me in with your concept of "manager-speak". I dont have an issue with your argument, i just choose to point out that you actually weaken what might actually be effective arguments by interjecting irrelevant opinions into your message.
Is it really a managers job to convince you about anything? I don't believe it is, dont rely on anyone else to tell me what my thoughts are, so I wouldnt presume to do it to anyone else. I do like to ask questions that might make others think or challenge their beliefs. You choose to take those as arguments or even attacks. Discussing something objectively involves probing questions that might make the other person re-think their position or you yours, bringing value to the conversation.
You provided 4 pieces of information, which appear to be factual and could be compelling to a person who is solely focused on those 4 criteria. I might require more information before i made my decision because those particular 4 areas may not be as relevant to my situation as they are to yours. That doesnt make me stupid, dense, or any of the other colorful names you utilize, it is the freedom I have to be responsible for my own decisions.
For instance, i might ask if life insurance or short term or long term disability is provided as part of their health benefits package. I honestly dont know that answer, maybe someone else here does, but it would certainly be a factor to some one that places a high value on those items and can objectively weigh them against the obvious premium differences, co pays and extra percentage points for costs above the deductible. Again, no idea what the answer is to that question, nor how each person would value it, but i certainly wouldnt be short-sighted enough to call them stupid if their opinion differred from mine after they weighed it out.

Not sure what struck me to get on here today, boredom maybe, but you can return to your regularly scheduled program now.....

Be safe!
AF

What opinions have I interjected that are irrelevant? Maybe you confused a opinion for a fact because you don't know what the upsf plan consists of.

What opinions have I interjected that are irrelevant? Maybe you confused a opinion for a fact because you don't know what the upsf plan consists of.
In the interest of preserving bandwidth, your whole premise that their overall plan is better, based on your own selected criteria and that anyone that disagrees with that is stupid would be the start......i dont have to know everything in their plan to know those are opinions and irrelevant in providing anyone information towards formulating their own opinion.....

Last edited:
In the interest of preserving bandwidth, your whole premise that their overall plan is better, based on your own selected criteria and that anyone that disagrees with that is stupid would be the start......i dont have to know everything in their plan to know those are opinions and irrelevant in providing anyone information towards someone else formulating their own opinion.....

Like I said in my other post you have no interest in looking at their plan and pointing out how much better their plan is all your doing is trying take jabs at me and act like I don't know what I'm talking about. They have retiree healthcare also I can go on if you like. My point is we deserve better than what we have, if you have a problem with that so be it, but I won't quit saying things that other people are scared to say. With the monumental tax cut we received this past year we should have been able to do better than raise our insurance premiums.

Like I said in my other post you have no interest in looking at their plan and pointing out how much better their plan is all your doing is trying take jabs at me and act like I don't know what I'm talking about. They have retiree healthcare also I can go on if you like. My point is we deserve better than what we have, if you have a problem with that so be it, but I won't quit saying things that other people are scared to say. With the monumental tax cut we received this past year we should have been able to do better than raise our insurance premiums.

Never said anything about you not knowing what you are talking about.......i believe you actually have accused me of that without really giving much support to back it up. I would point out that the labor issue would indicate that those you are speaking about actually feel that they deserve better than what they have as well.....

Can anyone honestly answer the question of what they truly deserve? I would guess that my standard answer would be "better" than what i have, just like what I assume most others would answer, but what actually constitutes "better".

I guess that is part of the point i was trying to make to you earlier......it is all a personal viewpoint. Some might feel they deserve 100 bucks an hour, some might be about healthcare, retirement, vacation time, equipment, other benefits......some might place our tuition reimbursement program higher than health care on their priorities, others might not. Others may just want to make sure they have just a little bit more than the other guy.

I am no different in some of these thoughts, which sometimes make me wonder if my attitude is what really needs to be "better" than it is.

With the monumental tax cut we received this past year we should have been able to do better than raise our insurance premiums.

Been avoiding comment on the previous conversation, due to constraints of time. Interesting discussion though.

On this particular subtopic, we do have to wonder where the ongoing "windfall" (tax savings) will be going. We will have to pay close attention to the annual reports in order to know.

With the clear and present driver (and mechanics) shortage, it seems to me that wages/benefits/equipment should be among the highest priorities. Will the Company see automation/tech/efficiencies as the highest priority? I expect there will be (and are) differing opinions within the Company. Likely some mix valid of the above. But, IMHO, the increase in insurance cost does indicate which way the powers that be are leaning. We stay tuned...

I briefly checked into the topic and the last best offer was rejected by 62%. Sticking point seems to be subcontractors not being addressed and 1.7% wage increase. Seems petty with a $250 million profit increase YOY for the quarter. I also find it fishy that the system is being emptied. I would not be surprised if there is a buyer for USPF.

Been avoiding comment on the previous conversation, due to constraints of time. Interesting discussion though.

On this particular subtopic, we do have to wonder where the ongoing "windfall" (tax savings) will be going. We will have to pay close attention to the annual reports in order to know.

With the clear and present driver (and mechanics) shortage, it seems to me that wages/benefits/equipment should be among the highest priorities. Will the Company see automation/tech/efficiencies as the highest priority? I expect there will be (and are) differing opinions within the Company. Likely some mix valid of the above. But, IMHO, the increase in insurance cost does indicate which way the powers that be are leaning. We stay tuned...
How goes it Swamp.....

Dont blame you for steering clear......my wife says that i will argue with somebody about their style of arguing, just to argue. But i also think that is how i learn things......if people shut off things outside their beliefs, they close off much of the world.

I agree with you on the tax implcatiins moving forward. My thought would be trying to keep a balance and avoiding getting too lopsided in any one area, but we'll see. The tech we are rolling out over the next few years will be expensive, as will infrastructure for the growth, but neither of those will be very effective if we do not continue to invest in our workforce. The annual reports are a great source of info. I would continue to point out that our stated goal has been and continues to be double digit margins.......while we have certainly improved in that area, we still arent consistently popping that level yet. Not sure that one can make a final determination that the investment spectrum is indicative of pure intent until we get to that point.....

Take care and be safe today!

For P&D we were told NOT to pick-up any UPS Freight if customers asked us. We are saturated.
Same at our terminal they told us FXF customers come first and we are already over capacity. Our TM said he doesn’t even want any of their freight.

Max out of pocket for 80/20 plan from upsf which have no premium is $2500. Max out of pocket for 85/15 which is 135 a month for family is $1500. Just food for thought for the gang that likes our plan which costs more on all fronts.

It's 85/15 for the top plan with 15 dollar co pays and no yearly deduction. We also have a 1500 max out of pocket. The cost is 45 single, 90 one plus and 135 for family a month. We also have a free plan at 80/20 with 20 copay. The medical and pension is the best thing about UPS. You guys will definitely go ahead of us the next 5 years on pay. But this is one of the best things for me about working for UPSF. The insurance also hasn't gone up in 10 year and if the contract passes it wouldn't go up the next 5 either.
Just curious....what if your spouse is offered coverage through their employer and they opt to forgo that coverage in order to join you on your family plan because they feel your coverage is “better”, is there a penalty/fee assessed to your monthly premiums??

Max out of pocket for 80/20 plan from upsf which have no premium is $2500. Max out of pocket for 85/15 which is 135 a month for family is $1500. Just food for thought for the gang that likes our plan which costs more on all fronts.
Thank you......you did lose it there at the end a little bit though. Keep feeding my thought....is that per person max out of pocket, or for the whole family? For instance, is the 80/20 2500 max per person, then something between that and 10k combined for all covered? I cant decide a work of art is a masterpiece if I only see a portion of it....

Teamsters forces UPS Freight workers to vote again on rejected sellout contract

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2018/10/30/upsf-o30.html

"Many workers have also suggested that the timing of the vote, occurring over Friday, Saturday and Sunday, November 9–11, with workers forced to vote in person at local union halls, rather than online or by mail-in ballot, is aimed at reducing the voter turnout. This would allow the union to utilize the same two-thirds clause to impose the agreement by fiat."

Not a big fan of the source of this article, but Holy Smoke... The quotes alone are enough to raise questions about motivations, tactics and integrity. I'm saddened by this, without a doubt.

Another clip from a long article...

"Speaking on behalf of the company, Teamster official Taylor declared that UPS would not accept any fundamental changes to the agreement because there is “no more money to be had.”

This incredible statement came just one day after UPS released its profit figures for the third quarter of 2018, showing a 20 percent year-on-year profit increase to $1.5 billion. The company is on track for $7 billion in profits this year. Revenue from the UPS Freight division has increased by more than 11 percent.

The statement by Taylor warns that this agreement is the “last, best and final offer,” and claims if workers vote “no” there “will be a strike at a time and location(s) determined by the negotiating committee.”

This is a threat against workers rather than a call to action. Any action overseen by the Teamsters executives would be aimed at isolating workers at individual facilities and starving them into submission with poverty level strike pay. Taylor made it clear the union would not call out warehouse and package delivery workers. “It is important to note that any strike against UPS Freight is directed only at UPS Freight and not against UPS Parcel or any other UPS entity.”"

Sort of slow...
Was hoping customers who use both FXF and UPSF would have kept us super busy this week.

I guess only the cheapest alternatives got the volume... not FXF.

Or maybe FXF damages and misses deliveries and pick ups and they don't want to be bothered with you and went to another carrier.
If damage free was the concern, ODFL would be bursting out the seams with UPSF's freight.

Coyote's job is charge high, pay low to make UPS as much money as possible including outsourcing linehaul to immigrant carriers running AOBRDs.

How goes it Swamp.....

Dont blame you for steering clear......my wife says that i will argue with somebody about their style of arguing, just to argue. But i also think that is how i learn things......if people shut off things outside their beliefs, they close off much of the world.

I agree with you on the tax implcatiins moving forward. My thought would be trying to keep a balance and avoiding getting too lopsided in any one area, but we'll see. The tech we are rolling out over the next few years will be expensive, as will infrastructure for the growth, but neither of those will be very effective if we do not continue to invest in our workforce. The annual reports are a great source of info. I would continue to point out that our stated goal has been and continues to be double digit margins.......while we have certainly improved in that area, we still arent consistently popping that level yet. Not sure that one can make a final determination that the investment spectrum is indicative of pure intent until we get to that point.....

Take care and be safe today!
Hey AF,

Certainly surprising to see you stopping in for a visit. Always offer interesting perspective.

We KNOW the push for 10% or better margins is going to drive the decision process. I just hope we don't miss a chance to (once again?) Dominate the hiring/retention part of the equation. Tech & efficiency is a valid goal, as well. I just hope proper weight is given to the "mule" that pulls the wagon.

While I have you, I'm curious about your take on the deafening silence on the "new" bonus metrics that have yet to be announced. This quarter is nearly over and we still don't know.

You don't have to answer, but I do have some (previously stated) suspicions.

Happy Friday! Stick around and stir the pot!:stirthepot:

I briefly checked into the topic and the last best offer was rejected by 62%. Sticking point seems to be subcontractors not being addressed and 1.7% wage increase. Seems petty with a $250 million profit increase YOY for the quarter. I also find it fishy that the system is being emptied. I would not be surprised if there is a buyer for USPF.
The system is being emptied because the won’t jeopardize the brand during peak season for package.They make more money in 6 weeks in package than they do in freight all year.Then they will expunge all garage freight and national accounts and bring people back to work.Either way junior men are and or will Be laid off due to the impending strike or lack of work.