FedEx Freight | Who's Buying Watkins this week????

Huckleberry said:
Big mandatory meeting just announced for May 16 0700 here in Orlando. No subject mentioned. Could mean an announcement.
Explanation of sale and acquisitoin is going to be discussed. General announcement is on the 15th.

I use to run a route and deliver to several truck lines. And it was allways the same thing, "We heard UPS was gonna buy us, what have you heard?"
After 10+ year's, only one of those rumor's ever panned out.
Now FDX Freight has two fairly large terminal's on each side of Atlanta, especially near Gainesville. Imagine they got thereselves set up pretty well all over the US if Atlanta is any indication.
So, why buy Watkins, when all you need is "Canada" and "Mexico"? Just wouldnt make since. They would spend too much for what little they want. If they did, there gonna be auctioning off a lot of equipment and property. Then again, FDXF is switching over to white tractors. Remove the stripes on those Watkins tractors, and poof.:cool:

I think Im gonna go over to the Yellow forum and start a rumor about them buyin UPS. YPS,Oooooo, we could wear orange uni's and drive orange pkg cars. Wouldnt that be cool.

equipment purchase

emissions changes in 07' will effect bottom line truck cost an increase of approximately 10,000$/truck. Our domocile got 15 new sleepers and 22 day cabs (6 of them tandems, that is fishy in it self... tandems for LTL). I welcome our new corperate overlords!!!!:chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot:

Hey all, just signed up here. I am a tripples driver in Salt Lake City and I am seeing some older trucks to be turned in, (hence buying new ones)... tires are bought, we have large freight, I haul around 90K all the time (tripples).

I have a freind that shot me toward this place to look around, ...I heard that a german freight conglomerate actually bought DHL. ...Fed Ex would be a close probability..... but you know what? I won't worry about it til I see a new sign go up on the buildings.

raise

just told today by t.m. that june 12 we are getting a .55cent an hour raise hard to believe watkins would be selling out and giving raises at the same time when i here we would take a pay cut if fed ex bought us out!

the big meeting is on for friday the 12th. got the low down from a district managers sec. all have been summoned to lakeland. here we go !

FYI this is an Engineering meeting.
normal yearly meeting.... will give them
info on year goals... updates on the new computer installs and OR improvement push.
p&d costs, ot ect.......
Doubt you will get any answers on the BIG rumor.

I don't think anyone will know until it happens. Companies being bought out, the people are the last to know, so who says these rumors are true, could just be a way of the competition trying to undermine the company.

I was told by my linehaul manager this morning that the warehouse at the lakeland terminal with all of the toys(airboat, swamp buggy, Clay's hotrod, etc.) has been cleaned out. Not conclusive, but very curious. Even the restored B-61 Mack was moved to the Orlando terminal.

It looks like it's fedex who is buying...and according to financial forums Watkins is looking to go public via general employee announcement with this in a few days (5/15). I guess on Friday Upper management will be heading to Lakeland.

The financial Forums indicate that Watkins is looking to buy up smaller freight companies. I'm not sure how true that is...But I do know for a fact that a major change will be announced 5/15.

I guess I didn't think the Watkins family would sell out. I'm kind of dissappointed about it really. I'd work for the Watkins family anyday.

Hey thanks! Yeah I've been hearing about this site for a LONG time as well as meaning to sign up.

I am hoping that FexEx treats the company well. The info I got came from another company (no names mentioned) who sent a memo out. The memo addressed what is going on with Watkins as it will have some effect the industry of course.

They mentioned that FedEx is looking to turn Watkins into a "High Volume, Long Haul" carrier.

The rest of the info as far as dates/plans etc. came from some financial forums I check on a day to day basis.

As for my position with the company, it's usually the first to go. I'm a little nervous. I can only hope I'll have a secure job within the next year.

Sweetheart4798 said:
It looks like it's fedex who is buying...and according to financial forums Watkins is looking to go public via general employee announcement with this in a few days (5/15). I guess on Friday Upper management will be heading to Lakeland.

The financial Forums indicate that Watkins is looking to buy up smaller freight companies. I'm not sure how true that is...But I do know for a fact that a major change will be announced 5/15.

I guess I didn't think the Watkins family would sell out. I'm kind of dissappointed about it really. I'd work for the Watkins family anyday.

Please provide links to the forums you are refering to.

trkdrvr said:
Please provide links to the forums you are refering to.

Just search yahoo finance :) You'll find the info there.

Hi, I'm new here, just trying to find out some info on all this talk about a buy out. I have been with watkins for 14yr's, I hope this is just talk.