XPO | XCO Trying to Organize

would you support a union at con way

• yes

Votes: 98 68.1%
  • no

Votes: 46 31.9%

• Total voters
I know I am new to this board, but felt I had to post something. I heard about this thread at work at XCO. I want to set the record straight about whats going on at XCO. I am the one who made contact with the teamsters and set up these initial meetings. We are indeed talking to the teamsters about representing us. I am NOT a 20 year senior guy. Not even close. We are not doing this to hurt Conway or put them out of business. We just want whats ours. We are doing this to not lose anything else. We didn't do anything to deserve losing everything we lost. They used a bad situation to take advantage of us and keep doing so. We don't expect the union to get more money or our 401 back. We don't even want a union ,but its picking the lesser of 2 evils. We want a say in what happens to us. We have no say in anything and can do nothing when something does happen. We are tired of being asked to take one for the team and in the same week being asked to vote to give the board a raise. We have been screwed on vacation twice. The list goes on and on. Someone at work said " Its like the schoolyard bully taking your lunch money. He'll keep doing it until you punch him in the mouth and tell him no more" We all have wives and kids. Car and house payments. None of us want to lose our jobs, but when is enough enough. When is someone going to stand up and say "No more". We know all the repercussions of what we are attempting. We know about YRC's problems, but there is also UPS. Yes, we would love for other terminals to do this with us, but everybody has their opinion on the subject. Just read this thread. I am not trying to convince anyone that what we are trying is right or wrong. Most of you have decided we are stupid. But ask your self the next Monday you come to work and have to see a video explaining why you're losing something and being told that its not open for discussion, Are we really that stupid?
I would agree with you and I knew more than not that have had union on their minds for years now . I don't get some of those drivers that think if they do their jobs and keep their nose clean that all's well . Fact is management attitude is what gave birth to the unions way back and its never really changed ,it's human nature . So some of the anti's should look at the guy on the other side of the glass because thats where it starts . You go and fight the good fight and good luck to all that want to better their life on and off the job . Those dues are well worth it if only for the health insurance 60 bucks a month for a Cadillac health for you and the family , looks like a no brainier.:1036316054:

The question is what do I have to lose by us going union, here are a couple of reasons just off the top of my head.

1. The company is already running on tight profit margins now, unionizing the workforce would make us less competitive. The first contract may only involve pay and benefit increases and then next contract talk they start asking for work rules in addition to further pay raises, it never stops, the unions never stop asking for more and with each concession the company gives, our non-union competitors get a little larger piece of the LTL market as the company's profit margin shrinks more and more.

2. You guys can say what you will, but IMO, a guy who busts his butt day in and day out, moving freight and hustling on the dock is looked upon by management more favorably than a guy who is lazy. I don't brag about myself, but I what I'm about to say, I think others can relate. I come to work every day and kick ass. My numbers are consistently high as in stops per hour, mm per hour, and a small percentage of docked freight vs. loaded freight. I have higher numbers than 2/3 of the other guys and some day, I'm going to make a mistake where a manager will have to choose to give me a discussion letter or an LOI. I've already seen where my track record has helped to reduce the amount of negative paper going into my file. While this may not change with a union shop, the results of my effort does. Now, the slacker is on the same platform as I am and management is no longer able to consider things like productivity and attitude when disciplining a driver. I like feeling that my hard work counts for something. Unions encourage mediocre performance because of a reduced of fear of being disciplined or even fired, I don't want to be lumped in the mix with the slackers in my barn. I happen to think that it's important for the health of a company that there is a certain amount of fear amongst the workforce that someone could lose their job, it's an important tool that a company can use to get a slacker off his back and start working up to minimum acceptable standards. Go ahead and laugh at me cynics, I don't care.

3. It's no secret that those who hold power within the Teamsters leadership donate money collected from dues to the PAC's of political candidates. That's BS, I will decide which candidates I support and which ones I won't.

To sum it up, the risk of my company going out of business in the future goes higher, so I risk losing my job. I lose my pride to union mediocrity. I lose dues money to political candidates that I would never donate to given the choice.

I don't know exactly what you mean when you use the word "cares," but I think they do care as much as they can in today's tough marketplace. They are raising money right now for the Con-way families who were damaged in Joplin, MO after the storms came through. At our barn, the company always does something to comfort an employee who loses a loved one. An argument could be made that because we took a paycut and lost the 401k match, that the company doesn't care about us. To me that's a selfish and simplistic argument because non of us drivers have any clue as to the big picture the company has going forward. Some of you guys who have some time at this place have become insulated to the changes in the job market that have occured over the last few years. It's not like it was, where you quit one 20+ dollar/hr job and go find another one. The labor market is tight right now and employers know it, the timing for talking about organizing is bad.

When I hired in, I didn't expect the company to "care" about me as it's no secret that any large publicly traded company's first financial obligation is to it's shareholders and top money makers. The money works it's way down the chain to the labor force, as it should be, since the labor force has the least amount of financial risk involved with the company.
That little bit about how the PAC money comes from dues {#3}indicates that you need to know a little more about the union . All money that is used for campaigns come from D.R.I.V.E which is money volunteered by the members of the Teamster . Some contribute some don't its your choice . Its not like these big companies like Wal Mart , G E and many more that have stock holders that donate to the republicans If you are in a mutual fund those companies in that fund don't ask you if its ok to contribute to some politician that you can't stand ,now do they?

It would appear from the poll numbers that an overwhelming majority would support a union at Conway. That is assuming that only Conway drivers are voting which I am sure is not the case. It does not matter though. The spark that ignites a revolution seems to have happend. I for one am going to make some phone calls and talk to some drivers that I trust and see what people in my part of the world think about this. I am willing to bet that a majority of drivers in my part of the world mis-trust the teamsters. I am also willing to bet that a majority mis-trust the folks running this company even more than they mis-trust the teamsters.

During your phone conversations remind yourself and other's that the mistrust can be changed by the power in number's, (united we bargain, divided we beg). That say's it all. It should apply to all aspect's of negotiation's union or not by the sheer number of people that strive to make a difference of a bad situation.

Actually I had 44 years most of it with Yellow Freight and retired for 2 years now.{ Do I still get a thata boy ?} A lot of what is posted here to me looks like the new bread of drivers . I probably have more miles backing in stops than some here have going forward .:shift:

You bet, (Thata boy). I am not too far behind you, started in 71 and had to bow out the first of this yr. due to torn up body part's

The best thing you can do is bring the subject up. Even talking to guys about how they felt about this was the hardest thing to get started. Its been such an off limits subject that guys are even afraid to bring it up. Sure some guys are going to be against it, but you will be surprised how fed up guys are at Conway. Guys I thought would never be for it feel something should be done. We don't trust the teamsters either, but we trust the management here even less. They have done nothing but lie to us. Everyone from our former TM to the current one. Even Doug S. came on his town hall tour and lied to us.

That little bit about how the PAC money comes from dues {#3}indicates that you need to know a little more about the union . All money that is used for campaigns come from D.R.I.V.E which is money volunteered by the members of the Teamster . Some contribute some don't its your choice . Its not like these big companies like Wal Mart , G E and many more that have stock holders that donate to the republicans If you are in a mutual fund those companies in that fund don't ask you if its ok to contribute to some politician that you can't stand ,now do they?

I do not have to join a mutual fund as a condition of my employment and yes the Teamsters money does find it's way into the PACs of political campaigns. It's no secret, why do you have a problem admitting to it? From opensecrets.org please see the following links.

Teamsters Union: Summary | OpenSecrets

I don't want to get off the subject here, but since this discussion is being allowed to remain open for all to post to, I'm going to make sure that the people reading this are getting the facts and not spin from some out of touch x-yellow driver who sits back collecting a healthy pension check received for producing absolutely nothing over the course of his driving career.

just to let everyone know, alot of the yes votes are for people that don't work for conway.

Go to the YRC thread and read what some of those guys think about the Union.Of course they voted away everything the Union is supposed to protect,willingly.

I do not have to join a mutual fund as a condition of my employment and yes the Teamsters money does find it's way into the PACs of political campaigns. It's no secret, why do you have a problem admitting to it? From opensecrets.org please see the following links.

I don't want to get off the subject here, but since this discussion is being allowed to remain open for all to post to, I'm going to make sure that the people reading this are getting the facts and not spin from some out of touch x-yellow driver who sits back collecting a healthy pension check received for producing absolutely nothing over the course of his driving career.

Where is the big secret????,..............All your link shows is that the Teamsters have a PAC and donate money to political campaigns,...

We all know the the Teamsters have a PAC, However all money in the PAC are voluntary contributions to the PAC,........

Please stop spreading lies and trying to scare people,.........

O.K. you will be suprised at how many drivers there are in support of organization. LET'S go lda ltu uby upo lby lho lhw lty lsl llr lmo laa uph lwf llb lab lde lsx ltx utu xhg and a lot of others talk it up find out how dsr's feel... you can feel their presence out-not hard just do not press matter if bad vibes. United we stand-divided we beg. Tell them about this thread!

I went and looked over "OpenSecrets" and yes their is plenty of Teamster money being spent on political issues. But the money comes from D.R.I.V.E funds and NOT dues moneys. As has been posted here before the political action fund D.R.I.V.E is a voluntary check off on payroll deduction which is listed separate from dues on your stub.

As an out of touch X-Yellow driver that collects the "Healthy Pension Check" too. I just am interested in getting out the truth about what you have posted. As far as producing nothing. My 2 million mile safe driving awards mean I must have done something for the last 35 years!!
I do not care one way or the other what Con-Way does.
I think that all should educate them selfs and make a informed decision.
Their are plenty of half truths out their on both sides !
And I also think a change is needed in leadership with the Teamsters !

OK, well I stand corrected, I did some research and I learned that it's illegal for unions to donate money collected from dues to political candidates, I apologize as it's not my wish to misinform. However that does NOT in any way change my mind regarding the shadiness of Teamster leadership or how out of touch the Teamsters are with nearly half of their membership.

As I was searching tonite, I learned that in past studies, that 40 of Teamster households tend to vote for Repubs, while the numbers I cited from opensecrets.org show that 89 percent of DRIVE funds went to Democrats. I also learned that the Teamsters and other unions tend to spend more money representing their own political interests than they do representing the interests of their members. Don't believe me? See for yourself. Union leadership claims they are there to protect their members from the evils of big business, yet they themselves are big business.

YouTube - ‪Union Members: Where Do Your Dues Go?‬‏

Union Members: Where Do Your Dues Go? | Competitive Enterprise Institute

Let's bring it a little closer to home now. I think the notion that the Teamster leadership cares more for itself than it's members is obvious when we see how they sold out the YRC guys in order to keep as many Teamsters employed as possible. It didn't matter that they took a paycut as long as the dues money kept flowing. I wonder if the YRC Teamsters got a 15% reduction in union dues as they did in their paychecks?

You Con-way guys considering letting the Teamsters in your workplace need to fully understand what you're getting yourselves into before you vote.

Yes the YRC Teamsters did get a cut in their dues each month.
And YES the Con-Way people need to be fully informed and know what your getting into long before a vote !!
Anything promised by either side get it in writing.

Cab Lizzard said:
I went and looked over "OpenSecrets" and yes their is plenty of Teamster money being spent on political issues. But the money comes from D.R.I.V.E funds and NOT dues moneys. As has been posted here before the political action fund D.R.I.V.E is a voluntary check off on payroll deduction which is listed separate from dues on your stub.
As an out of touch X-Yellow driver that collects the "Healthy Pension Check" too. I just am interested in getting out the truth about what you have posted. As far as producing nothing. My 2 million mile safe driving awards mean I must have done something for the last 35 years!!
I do not care one way or the other what Con-Way does.
I think that all should educate them selfs and make a informed decision.
Their are plenty of half truths out their on both sides !
And I also think a change is needed in leadership with the Teamsters !

Getting the feeling there are alot of union guys posting pro union propaganda in an attempt to protect / revive there pension plans.
Not that my opinion matters, but will throw out my two cents... I have seen some good things over the last few months. Was Con-way in the wrong path, sure. But I want to believe in change. Doug is from the old school, "raised" in the old school Con-way. I think they deserve some time to make the changes needed. Con-way didn't get broken over night and it can't be fixed over night either.
Unfortunately, they will never please everyone. A lot of negative guys really just need to leave and find that greener grass. Some guys will never be happy regardless what Con-way does. I believe they just hate there life or career choice and blame the companies they work for, for it. Normally bounce from job to job chasing some dream just to find out, driving jobs are driving jobs.

OK, well I stand corrected, I did some research and I learned that it's illegal for unions to donate money collected from dues to political candidates, I apologize as it's not my wish to misinform. However that does NOT in any way change my mind regarding the shadiness of Teamster leadership or how out of touch the Teamsters are with nearly half of their membership.

As I was searching tonite, I learned that in past studies, that 40 of Teamster households tend to vote for Repubs, while the numbers I cited from opensecrets.org show that 89 percent of DRIVE funds went to Democrats. I also learned that the Teamsters and other unions tend to spend more money representing their own political interests than they do representing the interests of their members. Don't believe me? See for yourself. Union leadership claims they are there to protect their members from the evils of big business, yet they themselves are big business.

YouTube - ‪Union Members: Where Do Your Dues Go?‬‏

Union Members: Where Do Your Dues Go? | Competitive Enterprise Institute

Let's bring it a little closer to home now. I think the notion that the Teamster leadership cares more for itself than it's members is obvious when we see how they sold out the YRC guys in order to keep as many Teamsters employed as possible. It didn't matter that they took a paycut as long as the dues money kept flowing. I wonder if the YRC Teamsters got a 15% reduction in union dues as they did in their paychecks?

You Con-way guys considering letting the Teamsters in your workplace need to fully understand what you're getting yourselves into before you vote.

Both The U tube video and the web page have false statements about where dues money is funneled into political coffers. Their again they do not tell the truth about the Teamsters D.R.I.V.E political action fund.
I found out that CEI annual funding is made by some of the biggest corporations in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cab Lizzard said:
Both The U tube video and the web page have false statements about where dues money is funneled into political coffers. Their again they do not tell the truth about the Teamsters D.R.I.V.E political action fund.
I found out that CEI annual funding is made by some of the biggest corporations in the world.

You sound like you have direct ties to the teamsters. Probably a recruiter.

Getting the feeling there are alot of union guys posting pro union propaganda in an attempt to protect / revive there pension plans.
Not that my opinion matters, but will throw out my two cents... I have seen some good things over the last few months. Was Con-way in the wrong path, sure. But I want to believe in change. Doug is from the old school, "raised" in the old school Con-way. I think they deserve some time to make the changes needed. Con-way didn't get broken over night and it can't be fixed over night either.
Unfortunately, they will never please everyone. A lot of negative guys really just need to leave and find that greener grass. Some guys will never be happy regardless what Con-way does. I believe they just hate there life or career choice and blame the companies they work for, for it. Normally bounce from job to job chasing some dream just to find out, driving jobs are driving jobs.

Just remember good old Doug has been in charge since 2005. You can' t blindy think that he let Fatbeard or Johnny run with all these "enhancements" without him knowing what they were doing.

Just remember good old Doug has been in charge since 2005. You can' t blindy think that he let Fatbeard or Johnny run with all these "enhancements" without him knowing what they were doing.

Exactly, and he's got a boss too. The blame game can go on and on. What really get's me is the amount of money that these people get for failure.