ABF | 2023 contract proposals

It‘s all good. The point that 381, Wheelman, Homesick, TripplesWest, and myself are trying to make is this. No matter what is presented to us, we have the power to vote it in (Yes) or send it back to the negotiating table (No). So rather than accepting a sh**ty offer, let’s encourage our co-workers to grow a pair and send it back to the table.
Negotiations means “NEGOTIATING”. When you go to buy a car, do you accept the first offer the salesman gives you or do you negotiate a better deal?
I'm surprised you left Razorblade off your negotiating committee.

We had our contract proposal union meeting today. It was encouraging and disappointing at the same time. The union business agents are pushing for contract proposals and $7.00hr and 0.175mile is not out of the question. They want as many proposals as they can get by November 16 to be turned in to the IBT by November 21. And some, like having 7 sickdays, was good but local 728 thinks 8 sickdays would be better.

Disappointing because only about 50 employees showed up for the proposal meeting. Our road board is 156 and the city board is bigger.

Steward, I have to put your proposals on our proposal forms and have them in by Wednesday. No worries Mate, I'll have all your proposals on local 728 forms and emailed to our steward by tomorrow night. Thanks for doing the hard labor for me!

We had our contract proposal union meeting today. It was encouraging and disappointing at the same time. The union business agents are pushing for contract proposals and $7.00hr and 0.175mile is not out of the question. They want as many proposals as they can get by November 16 to be turned in to the IBT by November 21. And some, like having 7 sickdays, was good but local 728 thinks 8 sickdays would be better.

Disappointing because only about 50 employees showed up for the proposal meeting. Our road board is 156 and the city board is bigger.

Steward, I have to put your proposals on our proposal forms and have them in by Wednesday. No worries Mate, I'll have all your proposals on local 728 forms and emailed to our steward by tomorrow night. Thanks for doing the hard labor for me!
Just let me know if you would like me to help you get them ready brother. Should not be too difficult to change them to Local 728.

I don’t think we will even have one. Sad.

Just sent you a private message with several of the proposals on the Proposal Forms brother. Just let me know if you need any others. I also changed the paid sick days from 7 to 8 like you had requested.

Thanks. I spent most of today looking up articles and hand writing them out. I took the proposals you made up to the union hall with your local crossed out and 728 written beside it. Not acceptable. I don't know why other than our form is slightly different.

We are having our contract proposal meetings today, Monday and Tuesday. I am going to todays with a total of 121 contract proposals covering the Master, and the Road, City/Dock, Garage, and Clerical classifications. Here is the proposal I am turning in for the pay raise in the Master that covers all classifications and I hope I am not low-balling it.

226CA8C7-48BB-4E1B-A5C5-888F3884AB3F.md.jpg
Oh, you are GOING for it. I love this. And no, it's not delusional in the least. ABF has become like YRC to a certain extent: the pay is lower, but the bennies are top-notch!

ABF drivers are pretty damn good, and worth it. Let's go for top-notch across the board, including pay.

Thanks. I spent most of today looking up articles and hand writing them out. I took the proposals you made up to the union hall with your local crossed out and 728 written beside it. Not acceptable. I don't know why other than our form is slightly different.
Here are the proposal forms provided by Local #878. I assume yours were the same?

2798BB7B-0892-4D17-8082-69CA6B2AE115.md.jpg 200678ED-29A8-4928-89C4-3BF953E2E158.md.jpg

Oh, you are GOING for it. I love this. And no, it's not delusional in the least. ABF has become like YRC to a certain extent: the pay is lower, but the bennies are top-notch!

ABF drivers are pretty damn good, and worth it. Let's go for top-notch across the board, including pay.
You won’t get it if you don’t go for it. The last two contracts, ABF claimed hard times. This time, the cards are in our favor. ABF has made over $850 Million in Operating Income so far in this contract (July 2018 to present) with three quarters to go. And, I have high hopes for our new Teamster leadership. No better time than now to go for it.

I think we should write UE out of the contract to take over road driver jobs. What yellow freight is doing to the west is ridiculous and will never work. No one is going to work for a dollar over city wages to run the road.
How does UE pay work? We don’t have it in my center. Guess we had it a few years back. Only dock/city drivers now.

How does UE pay work? We don’t have it in my center. Guess we had it a few years back. Only dock/city drivers now.
City guys bid for it. Is usually an end of line terminal that runs time keeper freight to a break bulk terminal. They break the set and unload the trailer then work the dock, reload and go back home. Basically breaking every part the teamsters fought for in one job classification.

City guys bid for it. Is usually an end of line terminal that runs time keeper freight to a break bulk terminal. They break the set and unload the trailer then work the dock, reload and go back home. Basically breaking every part the teamsters fought for in one job classification.
I don’t see how that would work for me. My ass is too slow in a forklift to make sure I’d get back in 14.

Our UE guy doesn't even work the dock...he drops and hooks in Carlisle...I'm sure it's a contract violation, but they are essentially using him as a road driver for UE pay....
I worked at the Reading, PA barn. Top seniority UE guy had a double turn to Carlisle. He was making over $1 a mile with no dock work.

Here are the proposal forms provided by Local #878. I assume yours were the same?

2798BB7B-0892-4D17-8082-69CA6B2AE115.md.jpg 200678ED-29A8-4928-89C4-3BF953E2E158.md.jpg

'For those employees who choose to have the second specimen tested, disciplinary action can only take place after the MRO verifies the first test as positive and the second laboratory confirms the presence of the drug."

All company phone calls to/from Drug Test Lab and Medical Review Office shall be monitored by a Union member. The company can fail drivers even if you are below the cutoff the company can say fail this driver for us on the phone. The company knows the confirmation test only tests for the presence of the drug so even if you are below the 15ng/ml cutoff have even 1 picogram it still counts as a failure. The company can abuse it to get rid of problem drivers. How can someone pass a hair test going back over 4 months but fail a urine test by 1 point worst part is how the Union abandons him votes against him at JAC Grievance hearing?

"At the time the urine specimen is collected, the employee may opt to also give a blood sample. If the employee takes this option, the blood sample must confirm positive presence for the substance confirmed in the urine test. If no positive is confirmed in the blood specimen, the employee will be given a warning letter, offered an opportunity for rehabilitation as set forth in this Article, and the employee will be required to otherwise satisfy the requirements imposed by the DOT regulations."

Why is this from UPS's contract not a part of ABF's contract?

nothing personal towards anyone here as we all have an opinion but anything less than $35.00 per hour in our pockets in the first year is totally unacceptable I have been with abf for over 25 years and in that amount of time our total in pocket raises have totaled less than $10.00 per hour. it is time to catch up with the times we are so far behind the 8 ball in wages its pitiful -- abf got 7% from us which we will NEVER see again and speaking for chicago they also had several years of not having to pay double time on 7th day work. it is now our turn. this is not a case of i want i want this is simply put time to get current with current times . we also have 20 cents an hour to perform spotter duties and 10 cents per hour for night work--- this language was created well over 30 years ago and back then it was fair money -- now its an insult and it has never been addressed since it was created all of these things need to be changed and updated .. referring back to my saying we should be getting $35hr in first year that would not even really be considered a raise it would just be making us somewhat current to the times. abf recently showed us a video on how we have catch up to current times in how we move freight in order to keep the customer happy.. well abf practice what you preach and catch up to current times contractually and keep your employees happy as well
thanks for reading my post everyone
Be in my shoes bro...I don't have to mention where i work i'm sure you guessed it correctly? lol