ABF | 2023 contract proposals

I don't think that your proposal is low balling it much if we get most of the other proposals you have posted. Like 7 sickdays and 3 personal days and $5,000 retention bonus. If we don't get those items to, then I believe you low balled the wages by over $2.00 an hour. ...........

Also, interesting that Little Rock has 3 days of contract proposals and ATL only has 1.
How about breaking up 3 weeks of vacation instead of 2?

17.5 cents a mile and 7$ an hour is NOT going to happen.
The company has no problem paying $10,000 hiring bonuses but $15,000 if you apply at a job fair. Then the bonus hire driver quits after a month after they see how the company treats drivers and the company does not go after the bonus hire for the bonus they did not earn or comply with the agreement upon hiring.

I am not seeing anyone mention purchased transportation. How about eliminating it? We gave it to them when times were tough and they were losing money but now they are very profitable. At least post to a website within 4 hours when it has left a terminal instead of having to wait a month for it to show up on paper.

How about breaking up 3 weeks of vacation instead of 2?
I actually have a proposal to be able to take all of your earned vacation one day at a time in a Supplemental proposal as vacation time is in the Supplements and not the Master. I have one for the Southern Region Road, City/Dock, Clerical, and Garage Supplements like the one below. Feel free to copy and change it up to use for your Supplement.

257D2D3E-C6EB-481F-B7E7-9E2A9F73EE51.md.png

I am not seeing anyone mention purchased transportation. How about eliminating it? We gave it to them when times were tough and they were losing money but now they are very profitable. At least post to a website within 4 hours when it has left a terminal instead of having to wait a month for it to show up on paper.

FC319D4D-5F24-49AB-A202-C0C1B0D06475.md.png BA32116B-AFEB-4F7A-8690-FD4791215F63.md.png C535FA59-440C-4ADD-8886-8B081E784A21.md.png

The company has no problem paying $10,000 hiring bonuses but $15,000 if you apply at a job fair. Then the bonus hire driver quits after a month after they see how the company treats drivers and the company does not go after the bonus hire for the bonus they did not earn or comply with the agreement upon hiring.
Way ahead of you brother!!!

B5017AB0-2287-4C64-B874-FC9542E22E07.md.jpg

We can break 3 weeks in this contract. I also turned in a proposal to break "ALL WEEKS OF VACATION."
Actually, by contract (Southern Region Supplement) we only get to split two (2) weeks of our vacation into single days if we are eligible for three (3) weeks or more of earned vacation. The reason we in the Southern Region get to split up to three (3) weeks into single days is because of the Southern Region Garage employees. They stood strong and voted down their Supplement in the 2013-2018 contract. ABF agreed to let them split up to three (3) weeks if they would agree to the second offer which did pass. ABF agreed to apply this local agreement to all four Supplements of the Southern Region to make it fair for everyone in the Southern Region. So, the next time you talk to a Garage employee, say “Thank You” for the third week we now get to split into single days!!!

7AFEFCA4-E082-4974-B6BC-DED357225CA8.md.jpg

Actually, by contract (Southern Region Supplement) we only get to split two (2) weeks of our vacation into single days if we are eligible for three (3) weeks or more of earned vacation. The reason we in the Southern Region get to split up to three (3) weeks into single days is because of the Southern Region Garage employees. They stood strong and voted down their Supplement in the 2013-2018 contract. ABF agreed to let them split up to three (3) weeks if they would agree to the second offer which did pass. ABF agreed to apply this local agreement to all four Supplements of the Southern Region to make it fair for everyone in the Southern Region. So, the next time you talk to a Garage employee, say “Thank You” for the third week we now get to split into single days!!!

7AFEFCA4-E082-4974-B6BC-DED357225CA8.md.jpg
Look at page 289 of our contract book. Second (2) paragraph under incremental vacations. It begins with "it is further agreed that a road driver with 3 or more weeks of vacation may split 3 or more weeks of earned vacation." I have assumed that if it was in the road supplement, it was in the city and garages too. The 2018 contract is the first time road drivers have been allowed to split 3 weeks.

And this was not in the original proposal by the company. We only got this language AFTER we voted down the supplement for the 2018 contract year. Think about what we would have gotten if we had stuck with the mechanics in 2013 or if we had voted down the master in any year?

Last edited:
Look at page 289 of our contract book. Second (2) paragraph under incremental vacations. It begins with "it is further agreed that a road driver with 3 or more weeks of vacation may split 3 or more weeks of earned vacation." I have assumed that if it was in the road supplement, it was in the city and garages too. The 2018 contract is the first time road drivers have been allowed to split 3 weeks.

And this was not in the original proposal by the company. We only got this language AFTER we voted down the supplement for the 2018 contract year. Think about what we would have gotten if we had stuck with the mechanics in 2013 or if we had voted down the master in any year?
You are correct about that language in the Southern Region Road Supplement. I did not know you guys had that language. The City, Garage, and Clerical all have the language that I posted above (post #68). We have had the local agreement to split up to three (3) weeks of earned vacation since the 2013 contract because of the Garage agreement on the second contract (Supplement) offer in 2013. Thank you for educating me on your Supplement Homesick. I learned something new today.

0B376700-5A86-40BC-8F8E-27F1F944DF6B.md.jpeg

Preach on brother!!!
I totally agree. Had we voted down the Master of any of the past few contract offers, I don’t think we would be at the hourly/mileage rate we are currently at. We took a HUGE hit in 2013. We are still playing catch up from that one.

Were only allowed to break up one, two would be nice. If you had three I think it might screw the junior guys out of a decent vacation because if you use one day that counts as a week that someone else can't use....
GO40, on the City, Garage, and Clerical supplements here in the South, an employee asking for a weeks vacation takes precedence over single day requests regardless of seniority provided it (whole week) is requested outside the 48-hour deadline of the single day request. At least that is the agreement we have here at the Rock.

GO40, on the City, Garage, and Clerical supplements here in the South, an employee asking for a weeks vacation takes precedence over single day requests regardless of seniority provided it (whole week) is requested outside the 48-hour deadline of the single day request. At least that is the agreement we have here at the Rock.
We bid everything in April. Your supplement sounds a lot better....

Were only allowed to break up one, two would be nice. If you had three I think it might screw the junior guys out of a decent vacation because if you use one day that counts as a week that someone else can't use....
Section 4.
Past practice shall prevail both as to the time of taking vacation and
the number of employees entitled to be off on vacation at any time,
provided that a minimum of twelve percent (12%) of the total num-
ber of the active employees shall be permitted to go on vacation in
any one (1) calendar day
Looks to me like a day is counted as a day and not a week. I am in the Central Conference perhaps it is different in yours.
The employer must allow a minimum of twelve percent (12%) of
the active employees to be on vacation each day of the year. Each
employee may split two (2) weeks of their earned vacation into a
maximum of twelve (12) twenty-four (24) hour segments.
Central Region

Looks to me like a day is counted as a day and not a week. I am in the Central Conference perhaps it is different in yours.
Central Region
SW, you guys in the Central Region have very similar language to us in the Southern Region when it comes to Health & Welfare.

713B96AF-45EE-4C97-BBEF-26D8602D656A.md.png
Therefore, this proposal may be one you guys should consider. Apparently, if you are injured or ill on or off the job after you have started your work week, and do not have the required three days of contributions for that week, you have no insurance until the following week. We have had three different people that fell under this loophole in just the last year at the Rock.

434627ED-097E-481A-814B-AD1C071D1B29.md.png

Section 4.
Past practice shall prevail both as to the time of taking vacation and
the number of employees entitled to be off on vacation at any time,
provided that a minimum of twelve percent (12%) of the total num-
ber of the active employees shall be permitted to go on vacation in
any one (1) calendar day
The employer must allow a minimum of twelve percent (12%) of
the active employees to be on vacation each day of the year. Each
employee may split two (2) weeks of their earned vacation into a
maximum of twelve (12) twenty-four (24) hour segments.
Central Region
I’m out of central Pennsylvania