TForce | APWA/IBT NLRB Election to be held at KC

We've been non-union forever,and to be looking at organizing,to be represented by an outside party,I feel in my many years of experience in our LTL trucking industry we'd be a lot better off with the operation thats already representing all of the other LTL companies.

I understand what you are saying, APO, as far as going with experiance instead of something, or actually someone, that has absolutely no experiance in representing employees. A very sound piece of logic

One small correction though. The Union is NOT an "outside party". The Union is made up of the members. The Union is only as strong as the members make it.

More than 5,000 employees have returned signed cards, and several thousand more will be distributed in the next few weeks, APWA President Van Skillman said in a telephone interview......

This is the only number I have that's printed in black and white. Its dated June 1, and they started signing cards for Parcel in late March/May. I'm not an officer or accountant for the APWA so I don't know the membership numbers.
This number being printed in black and white is meaningless. Van Skillman could have said whatever he wanted to. How would anybody know if it's accurate? Once again Allspin, you aren't doing very well convincing any of us of anything other than the apwa is not a viable option. No experience, no Union leadership, just 2 malcontents who won't even pay their dues.

stldude44 (yellow freight employee),

I'm not interested in convincing you of anything. You don't work for UPS. You don't have a vote in this. But if what you're saying is true, then you have nothing to fear in the upcoming election, do you?

APWA Election News Flash

APWA Officials sign THEIR copy of the NLRB election agreement on Tuesday, July 03, 2007.

The agreement states that those eligible to vote are: Road & City Drivers, Full time & Part Time Dock Workers, Yard Jockeys, OS&D Clerks, Building Maintained Employees and Operations Clerks.

ALL eligible employees MUST have been on the payroll as of June 30, 2007.

Polls will be open:

Sunday, August 05, 2007 from 9:30 pm to 12:30 am Monday, August 06, 2007.

Monday, August 06, 2007 from 6 pm to 11 pm.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 from 6 am to 11 am.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 from 1:30 pm to 5Pm.

Election location is the west dock office at the terminal

First off I would like to say that this is a great thread. :smilies-19296: Lots of posts and sharing of info. I went back and read through all of them. From what I gather both Van and Dan are upset about the pension fund (Central States) They blamed the changes on their local union and got out of the union! :biglaugh:

Now they want UPSF employees to join their "union". Like spoiled children, they can't get what they want so they are taking their toys and playing by themselves. Well everyone in the major pension funds took a hit, they weren't the only ones. You don't see me jumping ship, do ya??

You guys realize that they work in a "right to work for less" state and even though they don't pay union dues they still receive full pay and H&W contributions?!?

All monies they get in their paychecks and benefits were negotiated on their behalf.

Members pay union dues to fund representation and support for the members.

Neither of them do. I do, and am ashamed to say they used to belong to my local. RV and Jack worked their azzes off to make it the best for the members.....and this is how they are rewarded. Thanks for your support.

Those in "closed shop" states can tell you what happens to people that want to get union pay and benefits, but don't pay dues.

Again, this is a very good thread. :1036316054: DS.

stldude44 (yellow freight employee),

I'm not interested in convincing you of anything. You don't work for UPS. You don't have a vote in this. But if what you're saying is true, then you have nothing to fear in the upcoming election, do you?
No, I personally have nothing to fear, nor do I believe anyone else does either. I do however believe that the UPSF employees who have never been in a Union need to realize what a mistake it would be for them to even consider being represented by a group (I can't call it a Union) who is led by 2 guys who won't even pay dues to the Teamsters, who have fought for and won every condition and benefit they still enjoy.......
If they were really Union men they be paying dues and would not have a Union busting lawyer as their legal counsel.
Also, why no comment on the poor attendance of the KC meeting? Do you think 15 people will win your election?

First off I would like to say that this is a great thread. :smilies-19296: Lots of posts and sharing of info. I went back and read through all of them. From what I gather both Van and Dan are upset about the pension fund (Central States) They blamed the changes on their local union and got out of the union! :biglaugh:

Does anybody know when these two guys got out of the Union?

Members pay union dues to fund representation and support for the members.

I wonder if they were to get fired for something, say, stealing time or talking on their cell phones while driving, if they would go to the Teamsters to get their jobs back?

Does anybody know when these two guys got out of the Union?

I wonder if they were to get fired for something, say, stealing time or talking on their cell phones while driving, if they would go to the Teamsters to get their jobs back?
Hey Mike, our "right to work for less" laws say that anyone working a union job, paying dues or not, must be represented. :nutkick:

So again, they receive the same benefits that good standing union members get, for free!! Plus they get to go around and talk shiet about the Teamsters while the whole time getting the perks!!

Does anyone else see the problem here??

DS.

Hey Mike, our "right to work for less" laws say that anyone working a union job, paying dues or not, must be represented. :nutkick:

So again, they receive the same benefits that good standing union members get, for free!! Plus they get to go around and talk shiet about the Teamsters while the whole time getting the perks!!

Does anyone else see the problem here??

DS.

I understand the right to work crap. My point was that these two guys think the Teamsters are so evil and want nothing to do with them. Are they going to go back to them, hat in hand as it were, if they need somebody to defend their job for them?

The best of both worlds............

I understand the right to work crap. My point was that these two guys think the Teamsters are so evil and want nothing to do with them. Are they going to go back to them, hat in hand as it were, if they need somebody to defend their job for them?
They don't have to. If they were discharged, their bargaining unit "Teamsters" will represent them, by labor law.

But from what I gather we won't have to worry about UPS doing that......figure it out for yourself!! LOL DS.

Labor group tries to court UPS workers
Association seeks to replace Teamsters, stumps for vote
By Bill Wolfe
[email protected]
The Courier-Journal
June 1, 2007

A new labor group that wants to replace the Teamsters in representing UPS drivers and package handlers visited the Worldport sorting hub in Louisville yesterday campaigning for a national union-selection vote.

The Association of Parcel Workers of America hopes to collect about 73,000 signatures -- representing about 30 percent of the eligible UPS workers nationwide -- to prompt the vote under federal labor laws.

More than 5,000 employees have returned signed cards, and several thousand more will be distributed in the next few weeks, APWA President Van Skillman said in a telephone interview.........

SOURCE

This is the only number I have that's printed in black and white. Its dated June 1, and they started signing cards for Parcel in late March/May. I'm not an officer or accountant for the APWA so I don't know the membership numbers.
-------------------------------

Apostolic,
Those are questions and considerations that each of you must look at when deciding who will be your CBA. For me and my PARCEL co-workers, the IBT has ruined the strong name that they've worked so hard to establish over the years. We're not debating what was done in the past, but who is poised to serve us better in the future. To us, the Teamsters are seen at UPS as a leach. Their service has declined over the years-- grievances take months to get resolved. The cronyism and favoritism (ie..corruption) has become too widespread. The Parcel side has a good contract when it comes to working condition, but we need a CBA who will enforce the damn thing!

And then there is the pension. The guys who have been around and were preparing to retire got reamed in the CS plans. Between the pension reductions and the increase in insurance premiums/copays, we would have nothing left to live off of each month.

Now this dependency that the IBT has on UPS membership dues has them backpeddling in negotiations. For the past two years, IBT has been crying that if UPS withdrew from the plans with a CBA switch to APWA, the plans would go under. Seems like their story has changed now that UPS is wanting to buy out of the plans to set up a UPS Parcel-only plan. So what carrot do you think UPS is dangling in front of the IBT to go for that withdrawal?? Card check agreements at all the UPSF facilities...... and all that new membership due money and new pension contributions. And those are contributions that the IBT won't have to pay benefits on for at least five or ten years. That's what all this is about to the IBT....$$$$$$$$$$$$.
---------------------------------

Union Fund Exit Would Cost UPS Up to $4 Billion
By Daniel P. Bearth, Staff Writer
Transport Topics
5/28/2007

UPS Inc., which is negotiating to leave the underfunded Teamsters Central States Pension Fund, would have to pay about $3.6 billion to $4 billion to cover its share of the fund’s obligations, according to industry sources.

Teamsters officials said the parcel giant has offered to create a new, jointly administered, company-funded pension plan for full-time employees to replace the existing plan. The company would pay an unspecified lump sum to withdraw from Central States, but would continue to contribute to other Teamsters pension and health and welfare funds....

SOURCE

You seem to know an awful lot about the APWA and seem to be in touch with the APWA officers and you claim that you do not know how many active paying members are in your organization? I would think that this would be a big question asked by anyone interested in a labor union. We all know that a labor union is only as strong as the amount of members in the union. So with all your contacts could you please get the amount of active paying members that you have. This should be very Important to anyone interested in the APWA. Facts only. So far you have shown me that the APWA has ZERO active paying members.

nospinzone you need to re-spin this one. You know the reasons as well as you know how to spin your apwa crap.

Pay close attention.

The Teamsters and UPs agreed to a card check at one terminal. Then they would proceed to negotiate a model contract that would be presented to that terminals employees for approval and if it is approved it will be presented to all the others for their approval or disapproval.

They are not depriving the Kansas City barn of anything. They will have their opportunity to vote for the Teamsters. Just as soon as the Teamsters and UPS have done what was agreed to.

By the way why are there NO UPS barns organized by the apwa?

nospin are you just going to do your usual thing and ignore this post?

I'll save you the time of looking it up. I am a ABF linehaul driver. A card carrying Teamster and dues paying Teamster for over 32 years in Teamsters Local 391.

Yep the same local that your great founders came out of and refuse to pay their dues to but have no problem excepting all the benefits that have been negotiated for them by the Teamsters.

What is your position with the apwa?

You tell others so quickly that they have no reason to be involved with or interest in this so called union.

What do these new members receive for the money they've invested in the APWA,if the Teamsters are bound to represent them?
Because their employer is a Teamsters represented Company?

Many years ago I worked with a city driver who had got himself booted out of the Teamsters because of he couldn't keep his big mouth shut,when he was asked,and almost cause a riot at one of our local meetings.

When he retired he was able to collect monthly retirement payments from the Teamsters.

Simply because the trucking company we both worked for was represented by the Teamsters union.
Given the fact that our pay,and benefits were paid to us from that trucking company which was bound to the Teamsters contract.

So although this guy was no longer a member,in that he didn't pay any dues.
His pay,and benefits were the same as all other dues paying members,because he was working for our Teamster represented company.

I hope I posted this ok so everyone sees what I'm getting at?

Yes sir your correct hillbilly frog You have the right to except the lowest amount possible to earn your living with as many part time jobs,or a fultime,and part time jobs as it takes.

New York as far as I know has always been a right to work state.

This is funny I just posted an example of this in post #156 on this thread,just before your question.
About a driver I worked with,who wasn't a Teamster yet was able to work at a Teamster company,and received all of the benefits.

Then what you posted is correct. The guy gets all the benefits of union representation without having to pay the dues. Stupid labor laws that always are slanted against organized labor.