Yellow | COO April 2012 comments thread .

Your bound and determined that a certain group of Teamsters is way better than another....I'm not so we'll agree to disagree I guess....Now if your right that makes all those that swear it makes no difference on how you do your job around here correct....Sucks.

Dude, every decision I have EVER heard this company make was based on numbers. It's the reason Trucking Boards has a thread for Daily Bill Count! Does the company lie? ABSOLUTELY! But I have never seen a TM manipulate numbers to make HIMSELF look bad! My original question concerned moving freight to terminals that have "ISSUES." Dallas has had issues. Chicago has had issues. Atlanta has had issues. I'm not the CEO. But I can look at a piece of paper and see where this company is moving work to and where it's being taken from. And when one OUT PERFORMS the other based on the numbers the company supplies us, I have to wonder why this company would choose to purposely UNDER PERFORM!

Dude, every decision I have EVER heard this company make was based on numbers. It's the reason Trucking Boards has a thread for Daily Bill Count! Does the company lie? ABSOLUTELY! But I have never seen a TM manipulate numbers to make HIMSELF look bad! My original question concerned moving freight to terminals that have "ISSUES." Dallas has had issues. Chicago has had issues. Atlanta has had issues. I'm not the CEO. But I can look at a piece of paper and see where this company is moving work to and where it's being taken from. And when one OUT PERFORMS the other based on the numbers the company supplies us, I have to wonder why this company would choose to purposely UNDER PERFORM!

Just a guess, but terminal performance is only one factor in the overall equation of freight movement efficiency.

Just an observation as to what will take place........YRC Freight will give their "Short Haul" accounts to Holland, New Penn, and Reddaway within their respective territories and those carriers will no longer interline the "Long Haul" accounts with each other, cause YRC Freight will take it over. It's a give and take "swap", you give me your "Long Haul", I'll give you my "Short Haul".
What if they don't like the other choice? Freight goes bye bye.....

I tried to give posible answers......from whether "it was'nt true" too "it makes no difference" and you don't like any of em. The only other posibility is they don't want to perform, for whatever reason. I certainly don't know either

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok its hard to make a buck,but yet Holland seems to always be on the right side of making it,even if its low rated.YRC giving up on less than 500 mile freight seems to me will shrink the company even more than the change numbers reflect,some how and I do not have any solid numbers to back this up,just a gut feeling,it seems we could be seeing anywhere from 10% to who knows how much in less freight serviced.It will all total less work.Hope I'm wrong,I really do.Anybody else got any ideas on this.
Holland has always been, floored out loads, scheduled cut times, direct loading to destination terminal, 99% claim free. Less handling = better service, and less claim $$$. Just my opinion.

We all can sit here and bit@$ & complain about "what makes sense and what doesn't"! Get in touch with your local and ask everything you need too. Facts are, this will get passed with minor changes. I HATE it, but that's the way it goes. Just make sure you do what's right for you and your family!

Holland has always been, floored out loads, scheduled cut times, direct loading to destination terminal, 99% claim free. Less handling = better service, and less claim $$$. Just my opinion.

That's the way just about every regional carrier operates Big R Guy but we're comparing apples and oranges here. Long haul requires a very different operating method than short haul does.

This change will certainly make the locals in the big cities happy, since it brings more work back to them. But it is at the expense of the ELO terminals, who's service will suffer by implementing this change. Most EOL shut down their outbound early in the evening. If they have a road driver or two, their freight moves sooner, and the breakbulk won't have to close out their inbound until he arrives in the am. Under the change, the breakbulk will have to close the load in the afternoon, in order to go get the EOL terminals outbound. Or run it later, and then the EOL's outbound is 24 hours old before it leaves the terminal.
I get discontinuing velosity, but this change is a big waste of money. Just my opinion.

Don't the UE just go back to the city board and bid there?

Yes they do.......I was a UE driver in Charleston Sc. back in 2008 and they eliminated our 2 UE jobs and threw us in the city and dock early 2009 so I got my 25 in April 2009 and retired and hauled azz back to Atlanta.....

Yes that's what we did before we were bought out. Hardly any direct loading now. And now we are a worthless bottom feeder operation.

Ok its hard to make a buck,but yet Holland seems to always be on the right side of making it,even if its low rated.YRC giving up on less than 500 mile freight seems to me will shrink the company even more than the change numbers reflect,some how and I do not have any solid numbers to back this up,just a gut feeling,it seems we could be seeing anywhere from 10% to who knows how much in less freight serviced.It will all total less work.Hope I'm wrong,I really do.Anybody else got any ideas on this.

I really don't think we will refuse anything shipping less than 500 miles, I'm in Chicago so anything going to say St Louis or Detroit is still going to get there in a day.

I remember even before we started next day service, we never had a problem with short haul freight.

Doesn't this getting out of next day service have more to do with service guarantees, rates and promises?

Since it sounds like were going back to the old days, freight will sit for a day, trailers won't leave until they are completely jam packed full(which will sit until the next day). I'm thinking our new name should be Bedrock Freight!!!! Because were gonna move freight like the Flintstones!!!

Since it sounds like were going back to the old days, freight will sit for a day, trailers won't leave until they are completely jam packed full(which will sit until the next day). I'm thinking our new name should be Bedrock Freight!!!! Because were gonna move freight like the Flintstones!!!

It won't be like the Old Days for my area. Most of our Terminals have been closed and it will be 300 miles to any Break. This is new territory for us anyway

Yes that's what we did before we were bought out. Hardly any direct loading now. And now we are a worthless bottom feeder operation.

We build about 75 loads per night in Milwaukee and probably 90% of them are direct loads. Most of our inbound is direct. You're wrong.

Just an observation as to what will take place........YRC Freight will give their "Short Haul" accounts to Holland, New Penn, and Reddaway within their respective territories and those carriers will no longer interline the "Long Haul" accounts with each other, cause YRC Freight will take it over. It's a give and take "swap", you give me your "Long Haul", I'll give you my "Short Haul".
Your observation may be right,but my feeling is that YRC will have no say as to who the customer will ship with.

Your observation may be right,but my feeling is that YRC will have no say as to who the customer will ship with.

True, the pickemup driver won't turn down any freight, but we won't promise great service ont he short haul lanes.
It will move as an afterthought. Within the immediate break area, you may get quick service by accident.

33 years ago when I hired on, to get freight from Chicago to Detroit, it had to go via dallas

True, the pickemup driver won't turn down any freight, but we won't promise great service ont he short haul lanes.
It will move as an afterthought. Within the immediate break area, you may get quick service by accident.

33 years ago when I hired on, to get freight from Chicago to Detroit, it had to go via dallas

33 years ago? I know they said they're getting back to their roots but lets not get carried away. They handled this freight before velocity and they'll handle it afterwards. Customers will be told 1 - 2 days. If the customer insists on nothing but next day they'll be told about gaurenteed delivery. If they don't want to pay the bill they'll be told 1 - 2 days.

We build about 75 loads per night in Milwaukee and probably 90% of them are direct loads. Most of our inbound is direct. You're wrong.
okay Holland hero. Their are many more terminals other than your estes owned dump you work at. All our freight other then a few loads all go to breakbulks to be handled and damaged more than once every nite. Open your eyes and look farther than west allis.