TForce | UPS Freight is going to be unionized so get over it.

Pay until at full rate?

How do you suppose they will handle the percentage of pay for the employees that aren't at full rate yet?

I will soon have a year and be at 90%,but of course won't be at full rate for another 2 years....if we were to be union soon,I wonder how this will be handled.
I know it only takes 2 years to be at full rate in the freight agreement,but say we were union before I have 2 years in...I would be at a higher rate than I would if I started as a teamster at 75%...I'm not sure what the one year percentage is in the NMFA

Johnnybegood said:
I'd do what i have to do..But i have enough under me not to worry about that...Just think when we go to a one senority list many Road Drivers who have been waiting for the rules to change will be back in the city in their company senority slot so get ready for the road low senority city drivers...:biglaugh: Thats if the union gets in...:duh:
I also thought that I had enough under me not to worry, about 20 drivers.

Boy was I wrong, with forced transfers and elimination of good paying runs and replacing them with lower paying runs I did have something to worry about

You see, Its bad enough to loose the delay, but too loose a decent paying run to boot.
That was all we had left, a good paying run and now thats gone. (unless I would team to Harrisburg PA with someone I don't know.)

Does anybody think I am concerned about a non issue? Please if so set me straight. Better yet give me something to look forward to.

I am transfering for my safety since teams are being made the future of our company.
I would rather do it with someone I trust that can't get hired on in LAX.

I don't want to end up like whoever was driving that Sleeper Volvo and set of trlrs out behind the shop in FON. Can't sleep in a truck being controled by someone I don't trust. Sleeper seatbelt wouldn't be able to be tight enough.

UPSF_GLAD TO BE NON-UNION said:
How do you suppose they will handle the percentage of pay for the employees that aren't at full rate yet?

I will soon have a year and be at 90%,but of course won't be at full rate for another 2 years....if we were to be union soon,I wonder how this will be handled.
I know it only takes 2 years to be at full rate in the freight agreement,but say we were union before I have 2 years in...I would be at a higher rate than I would if I started as a teamster at 75%...I'm not sure what the one year percentage is in the NMFA

The NMFA calls for 1 year at 75%, 6 months at 80%, 6 months at 90%. Full scale in 2 years. I'm sure you'd fall in where your time puts you.

hobo said:
we are UPS DRIVERS not freight drivers, not roadway drivers, not yellow drivers, not abf drivers. we want to be part of the UPS CONTRACT. we must insist on this. let the union reps know that this is what we expect.UPS is getting ready to negotiate a new contract. WE NEED TO BE A PART OF THESE NEGOTIATIONS. do not accept this bull about nfa one company, one union, one contract
We? I don't want to be a part of this. Nmfa is a great agreement in my opinion. I've read the agreement thanks to a teamster on these boards and It is more than fair.

What makes you think that we are better than the rest of the LTL carriers? I have not seen anything to prove that we are better.

For you to want to be under National Parcel Agreement makes me think you want to be able to say " I'm better than you because I'm under the UPS Parcel Agreement." Maybe you should talk to T251 before you decide it will be better for us. NMFA is designed for a freight co which is what we are.

http://www.nmfalibrary.org/nmfa.htm

webidiot said:
6)Posts deemed to be just mean spirited posts or posts made just to antagonize others may be removed at the discretion of the site administration, the idea behind this site is to create harmony amongst people in the transportation industry.

Why was this post edited? Just asking.

I was just thinking about this the other day, I would imagine, but definitely not sure, that you wouldn't take a pay cut. I would think that you end up being at that rate until the two years.

serta said:
I was just thinking about this the other day, I would imagine, but definitely not sure, that you wouldn't take a pay cut. I would think that you end up being at that rate until the two years.

I wouldn't think the union would allow a pay cut either.

In 6 months I will be at 92.5%..so I would think I would stay at that till my 2 year anniversery...instead of going back to the 90%.

But then again,even if we go union I've heard it could take 2 years till everything is negotiated and in place.

Familyman said:
There have been some saying they want the parcel contract, now most realize there is no way that UPSF can pay what parcel makes and remain competitive, however why couldn't they have a section in the parcel agreement that would also cover the freight guys just as package cars and part timers are in the contract now? While they could be part of that contract they would probably still make the same as the NMFA however they would vote and expire at the same time as parcel and in the event of a strike they would truly be all for one and one for all.

The down side would be that all the parcel guys would be voting on a contract that freight would be held to, what I'm saying is are there more parcel people than freight and if so would they care if you guys (freight) got what you wanted as long as they got theirs?
Be careful what you wish for.

FM

That would be something for all those FedEx people to think about.:duh:

I think that what is going to happen is this: they are going to come up with a template National UPS Freight Agreement that is consistant all across the country, with some allowances for regional supplementals and dispatch rules, much like the NMFA.

My feeling on the subject would be this: if the union is going to go this direction (and it's actualy not a bad idea for many reasons, but mostly because it allows UPSF workers to have input on their own contract, rather than being signatory to an agreement they had no hand in negotiating, such as the NMFA) than they had damned well make sure it is at least as good as the NMFA, and answers the issues and demands raised by UPSF workers who have voiced what they want to see.

The thing I don't want to see is a sweetheart watered-down contract that doesn't give UPSF workers what they need and undercuts current union carriers like ABF and YRC to the degree that the union cuts it's own throat.

UPS is a $29 billion dollar company, and they don't need sweetheart deals. And UPSF workers ought to get consistant wages and benefits alongside other unionized national carriers, or why bother joining a union?

As to you UPSF workers, a parcel contract is nodifferent than a freight contract... it has it's good points and it's bad points. UPS has grievances just like the freight companies do, and I daresay they push their people a lot hardert han most freight companies do. So it's a case of being careful of what you wish for, y'know?

The one thing that y'all need to bear in mind is this: you don't have to accept any contract, even if the union recommends it.

YOU are the ones who ratify or turn down contracts, not the union negotiating committee. You are the final say on your contract, and the power behind it.

So long as you demand accountability from your union and are willing to do what it takes to get what you want and need, there is very little you cannot achieve...

I wouldn't think the union would allow a pay cut either.

In 6 months I will be at 92.5%..so I would think I would stay at that till my 2 year anniversery...instead of going back to the 90%.

But then again,even if we go union I've heard it could take 2 years till everything is negotiated and in place.
The Idea of this is to make this one contract attractive to all the rest of the employees so that they will follow suit. I highly doubt that a pay cut would be attractive and would also work against what the teamsters are trying to acheive.

BusterNite said:
The Idea of this is to make this one contract attractive to all the rest of the employees so that they will follow suit. I highly doubt that a pay cut would be attractive and would also work against what the teamsters are trying to acheive.
Good point.....however, Glad said that you guys have to go three years to full scale. You would more than make up any small cut after the 2nd year when you'd be on full scale in the NMFA. Going back to 90% from 92.5% is very minimal compared to going to full scale 1 year earlier. Think longterm.

You are freight. You don't want to be treated like package. Get wrote up because your shirt is unbuttoned on a 97 degree day? Use your head. Package makes a fortune, but they put up with a lot of crap that freight won't have to.

rtm457 said:
You are freight. You don't want to be treated like package. Get wrote up because your shirt is unbuttoned on a 97 degree day? Use your head. Package makes a fortune, but they put up with a lot of crap that freight won't have to.
tell us one good reason we would want to be a part of the freight contract beside untucking our shirts if it is hot outside. because we still work for ups so that part does not matter. we want to be a part of there ballon. and not rapped up with the failing yrc. abf is the only union frieght co. that is making a profit and is not a mess when looked at from a business stand point. I worked for yellow and roadway. They have be the most inefficient frieght co. still around. it still takes you guys with the ready lines two people on the clock to do the same job???? even ups does not use ready lines, there feeder drivers still ook and unhook there sets. No thanks you in my area the freight locals have nothing to do with signing us. It is the ups only local 344 in wi.

woodnnn said:
tell us one good reason we would want to be a part of the freight contract beside untucking our shirts if it is hot outside. because we still work for ups so that part does not matter. we want to be a part of there ballon. and not rapped up with the failing yrc. abf is the only union frieght co. that is making a profit and is not a mess when looked at from a business stand point. I worked for yellow and roadway. They have be the most inefficient frieght co. still around. it still takes you guys with the ready lines two people on the clock to do the same job???? even ups does not use ready lines, there feeder drivers still ook and unhook there sets. No thanks you in my area the freight locals have nothing to do with signing us. It is the ups only local 344 in wi.
Failing?
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/snapshots/1592.html

Woodnnn,
I think Forbes magazine would probably disagree with your view of Yellow and Roadway and the Union LTL Companies in general. As a matter of fact, this is Yellow's 3rd or 4th year of being #1 in Forbes. Customers like it when their freight is delivered in one piece.

Industry: Trucking
Most Admired
Rank Company Overall score
1 YRC Worldwide* 7.90
2 J.B. Hunt Transport Svcs. 7.15
3 Landstar System 6.57
4 Werner Enterprises 6.32
5 Arkansas Best 6.09

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/mostadmired/snapshots/694.html

stldude44 said:
Woodnnn,
I think Forbes magazine would probably disagree with your view of Yellow and Roadway and the Union LTL Companies in general. As a matter of fact, this is Yellow's 3rd or 4th year of being #1 in Forbes. Customers like it when their freight is delivered in one piece.

Most Admired
1 YRC Worldwide* 7.90
3 Landstar System 6.57
5 Arkansas Best 6.09

Or heres a better one.
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/mostadmired/snapshots/1592.html

You are confusing management with a contract.

Two different things completely. ABF and YRC run under the same contract, and yet you yourself said they are totally different. It's not the contract that makes that difference... it's the management.

At any rate, chances are the union is going to be designing a National Master Contract just for UPS Freight, if the rumors I hear are true. And that may actually be a good thing for you all, because you will have a contract you have input on, and that will be tailored to your wants and needs.

So long as you don't go below the NMFA, you all will be pretty happy with what y'all get. I would seriously forget the parcel contract. It's apples to oranges, and that particular contract isn't perfect, either. Stick with a contract that is tailored to freight and that you have some input on, or you may end up living the old adage "Careful what you wish for, you may just get it"...

stldude44 said:
Woodnnn,

Most Admired
1 YRC Worldwide* 7.90
3 Landstar System 6.57
5 Arkansas Best 6.09

All this is a popularity contest. Read the part on how they select the "Most Admired". Hahahahahaha :biglaugh: