TForce | UPS Freight is going to be unionized so get over it.

Prayer is always the best answer to rid yourself of stress.

It doesn't cost anything other than a little time.
Than just believe with a pure heart,whatever you ask for will be done,always asking in the power of Jesus name.
And whatever you ask for if its the will of God for you to receive it.
You will have it.
Actualy you can believe this ,or not.
I stay very close to God in my thoughts,thanks and praises of his blessing to me,and I have no stress.

I also don't have any problems,only temperary difficulties,and minor annoyances.

Time has a way of healling everthing.

Hope this helps you greezy.

Hobo Realize One Thing How Many Union Drivers Lose There Jobs And Go Apply At Another Co And They See You Came From A Union Co And The First Thing They Say Is We Will Be In Contact,ups Drivers Know That If They Dont Get The Big O Guys To Vote In The Union They Stand A Chance Ending Up Like The Other Union Co That Bought Out Non Union Co,my Old Man Was A Supervisor In Norfolk Va For Almost 40 Years He Told Me 20 Years Ago That There Would Be Only A Couple Trucking Co Left In The Future And You Know He Was Right Cause The Way It Is Looking It Will Be Fedex Non Union And Ups Union And We See What Has Happen In The Years For The Union Co.

10 speed said:
Hobo Realize One Thing How Many Union Drivers Lose There Jobs And Go Apply At Another Co And They See You Came From A Union Co And The First Thing They Say Is We Will Be In Contact,ups Drivers Know That If They Dont Get The Big O Guys To Vote In The Union They Stand A Chance Ending Up Like The Other Union Co That Bought Out Non Union Co,my Old Man Was A Supervisor In Norfolk Va For Almost 40 Years He Told Me 20 Years Ago That There Would Be Only A Couple Trucking Co Left In The Future And You Know He Was Right Cause The Way It Is Looking It Will Be Fedex Non Union And Ups Union And We See What Has Happen In The Years For The Union Co.
Look how profitable UPS is and they have been union for ever. And if the unions ever did go completely under we will all enjoy the good old days $12.00 an hour. And you will not enjoy the benefits that you are getting now thanks to the unions. When Fedex see's the upsf contract, they also will jump on board.

Well Said!

WIGGLEWAGON said:
A lot of these posts seem to be about what we all will get if & when...pension, delay, senority, breakdown, mileage, hourly, insurance, master freight, parcel, UPS wages, etc...

None of know exactly how this will all play out. I for one would like to be a part of the decision. No one in the "upper" seems to be listening to us now, what makes me think that will change? Not by itself. Only by a combined voice of the masses. Am I a Union boy? Not yet, but looks to be a good idea.

We are not part of the old 'good ole boy company' anymore where they are looking out for our best interest. Personally I think Leo, Matt, Pete, whomever, are only looking at the bottom line #s to send on to the UPS guys so they can look good. And their way of doing that is to keep our wages, benefits, etc. down without cutting into their bonuses.

Signing a card just means that you want to be part of the decision making along with some job security. That sounds better to me than being at the mercy of a company that "reserves the right to amend or discontinue...for any reason".

Besides, if at the end of the negotiations, the Teamsters can't deliver for us, I guess at that time the vote will tell.
WiggleWagon,
Your last comment was pretty much on the money. By the time the contract is finished here in Indy, probably only 5-10% of the terminals will be certified under the card check agreement. The Teamsters know that if they don't negotiate a strong contract then getting the other 90-95% of the terminals on board will be impossible. So I'm expecting good things in September. One other tidbit of information that makes me think this is that UPS Cartage was only about 30% unionized before they had their contract. They have the same card check agreement as UPS Freight has just received. 6 months after their contract was finished and they are now over 85% unionized and counting. Don't get me wrong though. UPS Freight's first contract won't be perfect, but we WILL get a good one and we will continue to build on it until it is as close to perfect as we can make it. Just remember, nothing good comes without hard work and sacrifice. We will get there though if we all work together. And that's not union sentiment, that is what I personally believe.

Parcel Contract?

Familyman said:
There have been some saying they want the parcel contract, now most realize there is no way that UPSF can pay what parcel makes and remain competitive, however why couldn't they have a section in the parcel agreement that would also cover the freight guys just as package cars and part timers are in the contract now? While they could be part of that contract they would probably still make the same as the NMFA however they would vote and expire at the same time as parcel and in the event of a strike they would truly be all for one and one for all.

The down side would be that all the parcel guys would be voting on a contract that freight would be held to, what I'm saying is are there more parcel people than freight and if so would they care if you guys (freight) got what you wanted as long as they got theirs?
Be careful what you wish for.

FM
FM,
Although I agree with you about being able to add provisions to the parcel contract to cover the freight workers, I have to disagree with the part about parcel getting what they want and disregarding what we want. As far as I know, if we were added on to that contract, we would still have to ratify the final contract as well as the parcel drivers.
The funny thing is, we are all debating over nothing. At this point in time, we have no clue as to what base contract UPS will offer up in negotiations. The only thing we do know for sure is that we have to make sure to negotiate the best contract that we can for ourselves. As I am reading these posts I am picking up ideas about provisions that need to be included in the final contract. I promise you that the Teamsters and the Indy negotiators are going to put every effort into making this a great contract. Hoffa is leaving nothing to chance on this one. Ken Hall will be here from D.C. on behalf of IBT. If you don't know who he is, he is the top dog at International headquarters when it comes to negotiating UPS contracts. He has over 30 years experience dealing with UPS, so whatever we end up with I'm sure will be very good.

Esp?

shifterknob said:
I think that what is going to happen is this: they are going to come up with a template National UPS Freight Agreement that is consistant all across the country, with some allowances for regional supplementals and dispatch rules, much like the NMFA.

My feeling on the subject would be this: if the union is going to go this direction (and it's actualy not a bad idea for many reasons, but mostly because it allows UPSF workers to have input on their own contract, rather than being signatory to an agreement they had no hand in negotiating, such as the NMFA) than they had damned well make sure it is at least as good as the NMFA, and answers the issues and demands raised by UPSF workers who have voiced what they want to see.

The thing I don't want to see is a sweetheart watered-down contract that doesn't give UPSF workers what they need and undercuts current union carriers like ABF and YRC to the degree that the union cuts it's own throat.

UPS is a $29 billion dollar company, and they don't need sweetheart deals. And UPSF workers ought to get consistant wages and benefits alongside other unionized national carriers, or why bother joining a union?

As to you UPSF workers, a parcel contract is nodifferent than a freight contract... it has it's good points and it's bad points. UPS has grievances just like the freight companies do, and I daresay they push their people a lot hardert han most freight companies do. So it's a case of being careful of what you wish for, y'know?

The one thing that y'all need to bear in mind is this: you don't have to accept any contract, even if the union recommends it.

YOU are the ones who ratify or turn down contracts, not the union negotiating committee. You are the final say on your contract, and the power behind it.

So long as you demand accountability from your union and are willing to do what it takes to get what you want and need, there is very little you cannot achieve...
ShifterKnob,
Are you telepathic by any chance? The reason I ask this is because your comments are pretty much what we've been saying here in Indy for a while now. The information that we received from IBT today indicates that you are correct about us negotiating a UPS Freight Master Contract. I'm sure the intial contract will be based on the NMFA rather than start a whole new contract from scratch, But you are absolutely correct saying that we have to modify this contract to answer as many of the issues and demands as we can. Instead of every one using these boards to bicker at each other about going union or not, maybe everyone can set aside their prejudices for a couple of months and help us with ideas for this contract. We are ALL a part of this upcoming contract and all of our input wanted and needed.

concerned citizen said:
ShifterKnob,
Are you telepathic by any chance? The reason I ask this is because your comments are pretty much what we've been saying here in Indy for a while now. The information that we received from IBT today indicates that you are correct about us negotiating a UPS Freight Master Contract. I'm sure the intial contract will be based on the NMFA rather than start a whole new contract from scratch, But you are absolutely correct saying that we have to modify this contract to answer as many of the issues and demands as we can. Instead of every one using these boards to bicker at each other about going union or not, maybe everyone can set aside their prejudices for a couple of months and help us with ideas for this contract. We are ALL a part of this upcoming contract and all of our input wanted and needed.
And this is what I have been saying all along. There is no need for all this distaste about the union. It is very simple, The contract in Indy will be general and similar to the NMFA. And then when terminals start to jump on board they can vote on what supplements they want for their area at their local union hall. Its up to the employees. Questions & ideas are great. What a great opportunity,To read the agreed apon contract at Indy and then see how strong it is, and then watch the domino effect take place. Remember no matter how you feel about union or non union, Don't decide out of past experiance's. Wait to see the contract and how it might benefit you and your family. C.C. keep us all informed on the progress at the Indy service center.

BusterNite said:
And this is what I have been saying all along. There is no need for all this distaste about the union. It is very simple, The contract in Indy will be general and similar to the NMFA. And then when terminals start to jump on board they can vote on what supplements they want for their area at their local union hall. Its up to the employees. Questions & ideas are great. What a great opportunity,To read the agreed apon contract at Indy and then see how strong it is, and then watch the domino effect take place. Remember no matter how you feel about union or non union, Don't decide out of past experiance's. Wait to see the contract and how it might benefit you and your family. C.C. keep us all informed on the progress at the Indy service center.
I to work out of INDY ,,I can tell you this much We are going to work very hard to get the best of the best the mother of all mother contracts for all the upsf people,,
We will fight for everything that we can to make this the best contract for everyone,,
Stick together at your terminal,,Brotherhood,,:Banane01:

just-me said:
I to work out of INDY ,,I can tell you this much We are going to work very hard to get the best of the best the mother of all mother contracts for all the upsf people,,
We will fight for everything that we can to make this the best contract for everyone,,
Stick together at your terminal,,Brotherhood,,:Banane01:
This is what I am talking about. Awsome!!!!!

I've got to ask,does UPS approve of all the contract issues..

than the organized workers vote to except it?

Or does every proposal thats offered, and gets written into a drafted contract that all the organized workers want,than its presented to UPS for approvel?

Also the only ones that are eligible to vote are only the organized terminals,is that correct?

If your not a card signed up Teamster, your not qualified to offer proposals,or to vote on any contract?
Am I also correct on this question?

I have one question? I have 24 years with Overnite {UPSF} Will I be credited with that amount or will I have to start over after having OVNT retirement froze. If so I'll lose on that deal.

If Indy wants the mother of all contracts then have our time we have now counted. That would perk some interest. If it is in writing. I still want to be tied to the UPS contract.

Skeeter at the Teamster union meeting I attended..

I asked about my old Teamster years.
The meeting leader said they were locked into whatever the rate was when I gave up my union card,I had a 20 year break in union service,and would have to start over with any contract that was signed for by UPS.

I also asked about my 20 years at Overnite.
He said I wouldn't lose those years,but when I would be under a Teamster contract,that I'd have to start fresh with whatever was in the UPS Freight retirement contract part.

He said that me being over 62 it may not help me to much,but it would be better for the younger workers.

He said that I'd get 2 years credit for every one year of Overnite service as long as I worked at least another 5 years.

I still don't get that part?

But thats what I got out of this union meeting concerning my pension.
Hope that helps you?

Apostolic said:
He said that I'd get 2 years credit for every one year of Overnite service as long as I worked at least another 5 years.

I still don't get that part?

If you are going to get 2 years for every one served at "O"/UPSF.....
You said you have 20 years at "O"....so that is 40 years of credit....they want you to work at least 5 years to be vested...then you will have 45 years credit.

you don't think they would give you 2 for 1 and let you retire right away with 40 years of credit do you?

Making you work 5 to be vested means they will get whatever UPSF pays in on your behalf for 5 years...and also means less time you will be drawing on the 40+ years of credit you will have comming to you.

No sir.They say my 20 yrs. Teamster time is froze..

and locked in at what the rate of pension contributions were at the time I took a withdrawel from the union.

Than I will get my 20 Overnite years.

But will have to start over with whatever is agreed on for a UPS freight contract retirement.

Than I was told that I'd get 2 for 1 additional years worked at UPS Freight only if I work another 5 years under a ratified,and signed contract with UPS Freight division.

Now this is the part I really don't understand?
I already have 20 years Teamster credit,so I don't have to be re-vested.
But I wouldn't get 2 years for 1 year worked,unless I work at the very least another 5 years under this UPS Freight contract.

The thing is for me all I have to do is withdraw,my withdrawel,and pay a small fee than I will automaticly be a Teamster again.

I'll have to see how I feel,as well as if God keeps blessing me with good health, also if I can keep up with the work load,being a P & D driver for UPS freight,if I'll be able to work another 5 years?
The other (if)?
Is how long will it take for all this union stuff to be setteled.
Seeing I'm over 62 now I may be pushing 70 by the time I'll be able to get a good retirement?

First of all, Glad to be has the scenario twisted toghter.

Overnite's pension will be frozen at time credited. Meaning if you have twenty years when you elected to start collecting you willl received the allowable credit for twenty year that is due to you.
Upon contributing to Teamster pension you will recieve a formula (still to be determined) that will pay you for the years you start to contribute to the Teansters Pension fund(s).

Several scenarios have been disclosed.
These scenarios are also determined by each pension fund involved and can vary.
Some offers are three for one and two for one. This means for every year you contribute up to determine amount of years you will recieve the determined credit.
You must however contriv=bute at least a minimium amount to qualify, which in both case seems to be five(5) years.
Which means you must be vested in this new offer or plan(s).

APO you have been out of you paln for 20 years menaing your contibution rate was no where near the contribution rate it is at today. You must be vested in the new formula or you would be collecting more than is due to you.
Investigate you plan and you will find that the plan tells you that id you don't not contribute for "X" amount of years you must re-vest to collect another pension.
Also if the plan location is different that you effect the vesting also.
In other words if your tqwenty years were with NY/NJ and you are now working in UpState's plan that that means you are in a seprete plan and can't combine anyway.

There are a lot of factors that come into play and weighing al htos factors means getting all the facts.
You will not get all the factds on this website Get the facts by going to meetings, investigating, making phone calls, asking questions. Don't use the rumors or heresays from this site to make your discession.