Yellow | Yrc needs to fix the a/c on these linehaul tractors (red tag)

Had one a few years ago leaving Raphine, went flying down the road even though the speedo was only showing a little over 50. Something didn't feel right since the tach was reading higher than normal in top gear. When I went breezing by a bunch of chain-drive-wallet types and saw the shocked look on their faces when being passed by Yellow I knew I had a keeper. Turns out the speed sensor was either bad or out of calibration and therefore the computer didn't know the actual speed and kept allowing higher revs and therefore higher speed. Hated losing that tractor! That one definitely had to be running close to 80 (and not just downhill like they all do). :smile:
You see I was right, you always get the good tractors. That dam crumb cake works wonders!!:1036316054:

You see I was right, you always get the good tractors. That dam crumb cake works wonders!!:1036316054:

For sure. I'd better hope B&W never goes out of business!! :funky:

Hmm, I wonder how crumb cake would work with women? Think I could get a fast one that way also??

Hmm, I wonder how crumb cake would work with women? Think I could get a fast one that way also??

Give it a shot. Dazzle her with crumb cake and kindness. And make sure the air conditioner is working in that room!!!:fan: :1036316054:

Might get you a nice 200 pounder that likes older men.

I got a couple comments on that one goes to both sides:guiness:
  • 1 driver comes in the yard screaming about the fuel filter
    first of all don't scream at me I didn't buy it, spec it nor have I probably worked on it before
    you get to the truck the brakes on the lead, dolly, tail are all smoking....
    replace the red air line and off he goes with all the brakes now released a happy camper
  • 2 write up says fuel filter bad
    you bring the truck in and the primary is dated yesterday, check the maintenance history the unit has had 3 filters put on it in the last week,
    look under the truck and notice the secondary filter is dirty, has paint flaking off it and rust spots
    change the secondary mumble under your breath about the last 3 morons who didn't bother to check.
  • 3 write up says no power this piece of s#$3 shouldn't be on the road not safe blah blah blah needs fuel filter(don't really care just
    describe the problems) .
    drive truck into shop notice speedometer inop, filters all changed within the last week, repair speed sensor truck runs good.
Nice list there, could you assemble a book of those for me?
Mine was one of those high priced models, it came equiped with a fan!!:fan: :1036316054:
At ABF those were reserved for those who brought in the crumb cakes.

I got a couple comments on that one goes to both sides:guiness:
  • 1 driver comes in the yard screaming about the fuel filter
    first of all don't scream at me I didn't buy it, spec it nor have I probably worked on it before
    you get to the truck the brakes on the lead, dolly, tail are all smoking....
    replace the red air line and off he goes with all the brakes now released a happy camper
  • 2 write up says fuel filter bad
    you bring the truck in and the primary is dated yesterday, check the maintenance history the unit has had 3 filters put on it in the last week,
    look under the truck and notice the secondary filter is dirty, has paint flaking off it and rust spots
    change the secondary mumble under your breath about the last 3 morons who didn't bother to check.
  • 3 write up says no power this piece of s#$3 shouldn't be on the road not safe blah blah blah needs fuel filter(don't really care just
    describe the problems) .
    drive truck into shop notice speedometer inop, filters all changed within the last week, repair speed sensor truck runs good.

Had a really strange one long time back. Had a clutch give out while making an on-route delivery about 45 miles from home terminal. Shop brought out another tractor straight from being PM'd. Started out and then struggled to keep moving. Stopped at next rest area and called in. Vendor came out and changed filters. Got on my way and tractor died again and barely got to next exit. Finally they towed out a third tractor for me and I finished my trip. Turns out that the second tractor which just came off PM had an unusual problem. Our fuel tanks on those Louisville Fords had the real wide filler openings - roughly 4 inches. It happened that a mechanic somehow dropped his flashlight into the fuel tank and decided to leave it there. Once on the road, the fuel eventually softened the flashlight's plastic lens which got drawn into the fuel intake and pretty much plugged up the line which ever so slightly kept me from making much forward progress. :smile: What's the saying, truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.

Nice list there, could you assemble a book of those for me?

At ABF those were reserved for those who brought in the crumb cakes.

You're right, I forgot all about that. When I worked casual for ABF at the Nanuet/Spring Valley terminal a long time ago, I did get a nice new tractor every day. Never thought it was the crumb cake that did it!! :woohoo1:

If fact they liked me so much that they prettied up a special tractor for me. Here it is:

ABF_Sleeper.jpg

As I remember the ruling on A/C units was if the A/C quits after leaving the terminal the driver is required to go to the next terminal. Also the company often does but is not required to repair the A/C at a terminal where there is no major shop. This would probably be limited to a charge of refrigerant. I think the terminal manager has the final word on this if there is not a shop there. I know some Sterlings required a change over of the complete A/C system is the compressor is bad. The change over takes several hours & not many shops are equipped to do the changeover or have parts available. I don't think a driver would be forced to leave a terminal with a shop if the A/C is not operating.
As for the fuel filter change request the easiest way to check for a fuel system problem is to check the fuel pressure & if it is low check the inlet fuel restriction. If company is doing PM's on a regular basis the fuel filter would not need to be replaced between PM's. If the fuel filter is not plugged changing it would not increase the power any. The company would spend a bunch of money replacing the filters every trip. Normally if a filter is plugged the tractor will lose power on a long hard pull.

You're right, I forgot all about that. When I worked casual for ABF at the Nanuet/Spring Valley terminal a long time ago, I did get a nice new tractor every day. Never thought it was the crumb cake that did it!! :woohoo1:

If fact they liked me so much that they prettied up a special tractor for me. Here it is:

ABF_Sleeper.jpg

See, it's gotta be the crumb cake!!:clap: :6788: :LMAO:

ABF_Sleeper.jpg

Tell the truth man.....you was doing way more than Buttering Crumb Cake to get that Tractor. :butt kiss:

ABF_Sleeper.jpg

Uh huh! I know I'd find out where my tractor got to sooner or later...:ranting2:

I don't object so much to the policy of only certain shops repairing A/C. What makes no sense is the refusal of garage managers to switch out units with A/C that will not cool when there are other tractors available.
No sense it's only a number they don't have the sense to use common sense . Sad thing is their your stupidvisor .

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been retired from Yellow Freight for going on 4 years now . Since then the DOT has changed something's that weren't in place when I was still in the truck . When I got stopped by DOT any penalties were given to the company except over weight and then that was charged to your license but the company paid the fine . Now as I understand it all violations even a marker light goes against YOUR license . So what I'm wondering is if your running with out air/broken can the DOT give you the driver a ticket and a fine and points off your license ? After a few points taken off you will be deemed as out of service .

Pup not only you get points and a paper hanging but the company gets their points against them too. YRC and their CSA score is in the crapper. Last I looked it was at around 75-78 which is bad.They are on the radar and are going to be looked at much closer by DOT officers. This is easy money for the states because it identifies who is complaisant with their equipment. It also shows whose drivers do not do a good pre trip inspection.
I really do not feel the majority of these drivers really know or care about their CSA score. If the time comes and they have to seek other employment then it will hit them like a ton of bricks.
I have already witnessed what happens when you get to many little tickets from our friendly DOT cops ( Money Generators ) your out on your dime and no one will hire you it follows you around where ever you go.
And the UNION can't save you on this one................
I have been retired from Yellow Freight for going on 4 years now . Since then the DOT has changed something's that weren't in place when I was still in the truck . When I got stopped by DOT any penalties were given to the company except over weight and then that was charged to your license but the company paid the fine . Now as I understand it all violations even a marker light goes against YOUR license . So what I'm wondering is if your running with out air/broken can the DOT give you the driver a ticket and a fine and points off your license ? After a few points taken off you will be deemed as out of service .

picket lines

We also did not have Power steering, cruse control,heated mirrors, air ride seats,electric windows,bunk heaters and hand rails. Many of us stood on the picket lines to get what you enjoy so much today! Why give up something that has been put into your contract that was if you don't remember signed by BOTH sides.
If you for one minute think this company is going to fold because you forced them to follow the contract you may want to start looking for employment elsewhere ( Beat the rush).
I have seen the regional shop manager at 881 (SLC) Mike M take working AC units out of road tractors that were going into city service and put them in scrap bin. Only to be forced to buy new AC units to put back in said trucks. What a waste of money but he was more worried about not having to repair them. They worked !!
He is also guilty of forging mechanics signatures on OD 199's that the work has been done to make his numbers. The biggest thing here is the company knows it, the labor man says he will fire anyone forging documents but this guy is still on the payroll !! F-em make them fix the junk its your CSA score ...

You stood on picket lines for you, not us. You started at full wage, not 75% of full wage minus 15%. You also stood picket lines for the union bosses and their 6 figure salaries.

Sure were a lot of US on the picket line. I guess YOU don't enjoy what US stood for.
I started over 4 times working for the same reduced wages as some young brother was getting with NO experience. Left before the 15% BS but I did give 15% at another carrier in their ESOP program that was worthless. We (Those that gave the 15% ) kept the doors open another 2 years by doing so. In the end got screwed..
I never worried to much what the union boss made. You know you could be a union boss if you wanted to make the big bucks too. All you got to do is get involved in your union... But then you would have to invest in yourself and give of your time too.. Which so many can not even make it to a local monthly meeting to conduct the local's business.
Sounds like another Me Me Me
You stood on picket lines for you, not us. You started at full wage, not 75% of full wage minus 15%. You also stood picket lines for the union bosses and their 6 figure salaries.

Every Teamster picket line I stood on starting in the mid seventies, only person I was thinking about was me, how do I feed my family, and the welfare of the Teamsters around me. There was no big picture at the moment.